Is the red sillicon enought? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Is the red sillicon enought?

Hey guys, i got a question, i have a bronco 4x4, 95, v8 5.0, right now im working on it, the front lockers are damaged, theyre automatics (by the way, sorry bout my english, im from venezuela and im kinda guessing the name of the parts of the truck) but they dont acoplate, so i have no 4wheel traction, sadly i realize about it in a bad moment, i was whit my dad visiting a gas station, far away from asfalt, we went downhill to see a burning pool, when we were down there it start to rain, and when i started to climb up the hill, i realize that front wheels wasnt working [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], so, there i was, 200 meters to reach the top of the hill and no way to reach that thing [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], (i waited till the mud got a bit dry and try again until i got out of there) well, i still havent bought the lockers, i wonder which one is better, the automatics or the manuals? (dont laught on me, im new on this).

and the other question, i want to seal up the engine as much as i can, i already seal up the distribuitor whit red silicon, but i dont know if thats enough, and is anything else that i should seal up on the engine side?

hope u can help me, ill send you i picture of my truck soon! cya! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 954437-Dsc00010.jpg (83.6 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Is the red sillicon enought?

Welcome!

Those auto hubs are infamous for failure. Replace them with manual locking hubs for peace-of-mind performance. Most will recommend the Warn or Warn Premium manual hubs.

Sealing the distributor with silicone is fine, that's where most of your problems with moisture will be. There are also breathers on both differentials, the transmission, transfer case, and gas tank that should be extended with tubing if you enter water often.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:30 PM

Yes, definitely extend the vent lines for your tranny. transfer case, and both axles. Sunday i could have lost all of those due to water damage had i not done already extended them (see the thread called "big mistake" for more)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:35 PM
froggy

sounds like my next lil project, extending vent lines. Tell me where do the vents come out for the aod tranny and 1356 transfer case?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:53 PM

Not sure on the AOD, but the C6 has a ratle cap on the passenger side, about half-way between the t/c and engine. Easiest way to get at that one is to pull the access panel under the carpet.

the 1356's line is actually a short length of hose directly on top of the t/c.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Old Hand

Aod has a upside down U that is hung from the bellhousing bolts. Just use a tubing cutter to cut it while still on the way up and slip a hose over it. DAMN YOU guys with an access plate. My 89 F150 had one but not the 86.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:59 PM

Que Pasa? The only mistake in your english is that what your talking about (as you probably already figured out) is that your problem is your hubs. a locker is a traction device found in the differential. Don't sweat the language barrier. Your English is fantastic and much much better than my Spanish. Take Care and welcome to the board! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode