BIG MISTAKE!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

BIG MISTAKE!!!

Well, i think im gonna make it into an issue of fourwheeler in the near future. (And NO, thats not a good thing!)

Me, Steve (86convert4wd), Joe (91FordTough), and a couple other guys on quads went out fourwheelin earlier today. All was going well, until we found this water hole to play in. Well, me and Steve were zipping around it, throwin mud and water everywhere, but that became a little easy. SO, naturally, i had to do the stupid thing, and try to cross it.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!
I got about 80' in, maybe a little more, when it started to get a little deep. Actually, thats an understatement! Then i got stuck. Big problem!!!!!! So now im stuck here, way out of reach of any of our tow straps. Suddenly, water starts coming in! AHHHH!!!!!!! It must have been quite amusing to see me climb up onto my roof to see me call for a strap, and fast!!! Steve decided to go in after me, but only got halfway to me before he got stuck, too. So Joe rides his quad out to go get his truck to pull us out.

To make a long story short, the water was beyond cold (im not sure how it wasnt frozen! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]), and my hitch was under water (alot of water). I was tied to Steve, and Steve was tied to Joe. This setup only worked to get me out by about 3-4', and then Joe just couldnt pull anymore. It ends with a second tow truck, this one a wrecker, pulling out both me and Steve at the same time. This was about 4 hours ago, and the truck is still dripping! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Needless to say, i took on a little bit of water. Fortunately, the driverside was higher than the passenger side, cause i was in water up to my glovebox!!!!!! The driverside was up to the parking brake pedal.

Now, to the point of this post. Im gonna be doing alot of reading tonight, but what are some things important things i need to do? The vent lines were all up behind the master cylinder, which was dry, but im gonna check all my fluids tomorrow anyway, and most likely change all of them, too. the electric is all fine, and everything seems to work, but my battery is a little low on juice now. The distributor is dry by now, but it certainly wasnt earlier. Im gonna go over the ignition system tomorrow, and see if everything is ok. I think the pcm is still ok, cause all my lights work, and all the idiots light do their normal thing when i cycle through the key positions. There was alot of water in my exhaust, most likely cause it sat under water for an hour or so while we waited for a wrecker, so im gonna pull most of it, and see what i can get out of it. Im expecting to find some majorly clogged cats, so i might end up pulling most of the exhaust off.

And of course, the entire interior needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned and dried out.

So, tell me......do you think i should start looking for another engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 06:18 PM
Old Hand

DAMN RIGHT

"how deep could it be" Famous last words. Anyway there I am swimming around in a basin drianage pit full of God only know what freezing the boys of and loving every minute if it.

Yeah we got arested and had to pay $600 to get out then got pulled over (no bumpers/plates/rear lights/illegal tires)then blew out a tire on my truck on the parkway with RepT's truck on the hook behind us. Man what a day. When we goin back?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Re: BIG MISTAKE!!!

Before you start lookin for another motor, [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I would:
#1-pull the spark plugs
#2-drain the oil (if it has water in it)
#3- put 4 qts of cheap oil for now
#4- crank it with the plugs out to blow any
water out that may have gotten in there.
#5-if it did have water, pour a little Marvel Mystery oil
in each plug hole & let it sit overnight.
#6- crank it one more time, put the plugs back in & pray
to GOD that you havent already bent a rod! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Oh, and if it runs fine, 6 fresh qts of good oil and a filter [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, the plan in the morning was to go over the electrical system, and then check the oil and tranny fluid. As soon as i got stuck, i knew i was done, so i immediately turned it off, so there would be less of a chance of me suckin up any more water than i may/may not have already done. Fortunately i was able to climb around and get on the bumper to inspect the engine (while still stuck in the water) and the engine looked surprisingly dry on top. My power steering pump was sitting under water, so ill definitely be checking/changing that fluid in the morning, too. There was a freakin ton of water in my exhaust pipes, is it possible that it could do any damage if it went all the way up to the exhausrt manifolds?

One more thing just occured to me as i am typing this-
That pipe that runs between the cats, and back up to the engine, is kinda rusty. If it could have sucked up some water, how bad could that be?

Jeez, can you tell engines are not my specialty? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Just to be on the safe side, i would definitely yank out the plugs and let it crank over a little to blow out any water that may have traveled up the exhaust(dont take much water to cause a hydraulic lock & a bent rod) but the rest of the water in the exhaust will blow out & probably steam like mad for two days [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:49 AM
Old Hand

I keep my pipe just loose enough to turn the tip down so it can all drain. After i got out i let it run for a little then turned the tip down and you should have seeen this thing drain. Then i pulled the ECM and Fuel pump relays and jammed wires in them and drove home. One of these years i'll get the right relay holder and bolt it up so they are upright instead of just laying there.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Novice

Re: DAMN RIGHT

Oh well there goes that 6 inch lift i was gonna buy. Some people aren't getting christmas presents this year. I should have charged the tow company for the use of my tow rope. Those )@&amp@*()@!)*)(&!!!!!!

-Joe
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Re: DAMN RIGHT

Quick Question:
Im about to drop the trans pan to drain the fluid. The manual says 12 quarts to fill the trany, but does that include the torque converter? If so, will the t/c drain out when i drop the pan, or is there a plug under there? If its a seperate drain, how many quarts would it take to fill each individually? I realize ill be pouring it down the filler, so it will all mix together anyway, but i dont want to accidentally over-fill it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear that Rep-T. Water is THE killer and THE thing to be most careful with when off-roading. I had a similar experience with a Jeep Cherokee years ago, when first getting into whleelin'. I got dubbed the U-boat commander [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, the motor and pulling plugs was already discussed. The tranny it sounds like you are already changing fluid and this is good. You should also check both your axles. It is simple and worth it to just drain the rear axle fluid to be safe. With the front, now is a good time to drill it on the bottom for a drain plug (I had talked about this a few weeks back). You invested some dough in these axles, so don't assume that there is nothing in them just becuase the breathers did not suck water, maybe the axle seals let water in....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

status update:

i actually replaced the gear oil and installed that drain plug saturday, so i figured i would have wasted some gear oil, but the front had no water in it.
The transfer case also had on water in it.
Rear axle i have not checked yet.
Trans had a minute amount, which apears to have come down from the filler tube, as it was beaded on the dipstick.
The oil had water in it. More than i would have liked. Since i was towed home, and it sat without running for about 18 hours, and all the water settled to the bottom of the oil pan. I changed the oil, and plan to change it agian within the next couple of days if i think it needs it.

I am about to install a new tranny filter, and refill the tranny. Once its is done, i will be ready to fire up the truck.
Wish me luck!

On a side not, i would like to extend a personal thankyou to EVERYONE who talks about the importance of extending your vent lines, as it was obviously quite worth the time and effort!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode