Need info. RE: Rear Tapered block - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Need info. RE: Rear Tapered block

BurnedBronco, I know you have one of the tapered blocks to get a measurement from(or anyone else, Steve, Havack, Muddy, I know the mudmobile has spit a couple of these out in the past [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ???).

The stock rear tapered blocks have a hole in the top of them and a pin in the bottom of them. I need the diameter of the hole and its depth, and the same for the pin on the bottom. If you are feeling especially generous, can you also measure from the front (thinnest end) of the block to the beginning of the hole, and the same for the pin as well. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks to all in advance for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Need info. RE: Rear Tapered block

I dont have any up here at school to look at, but Zach ought to know since he had some steel ones custom machined.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:44 PM

ya, ill get off my tired butt and go look out in the garage for one. so tired!! 3 motor swaps this weekend make me extremly tired!

edit, okay, i found one, but the its the one with the sheared pin. i got snow in my shoes and fell off a ladder, but i found it! not a good day today

do you want me to just ship you this one via UPS? dont worry, its on me.
the only thing about measuring this, is there are different variables.
ill mike the hole diameter and depth tommorow for you, but here are the measurements. holes arew approx a little over 1/2
top side of block total length. 4.5"s hole starts 2 inch from front. hole starts again, 2 inch from back.

bottom side
5 inch total length
2 3/4 from front to edge of hole
2 inch from edge of hole to very back.

the front part starts out in the same spot, but the back of the block is tapered causing the difference in overall length.

hey juice, serious proposition for you. want to trade the canvas of your softtop? your used black one for my new white one. ill pay shipping......
let me know
Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zach, sorry to hear your having a rough day, didn't mean for you to go falling off ladders for me. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Zach said:

bottom side
5 inch total length
2 3/4 from front to edge of hole
2 inch from edge of hole to very back.

????????

I did jack up my truck yesterday, loosened the four ubolts to where I could at least pull the plate up and look at the block to get a good measurement, which is why I am trying to confirm with your dimensions. The top measurement sounds just right on, and I do know how the block is exactly tapered. The bottom, where your pin "used to be", that measurement does not sound quite right. If the pin were 2 3/4" from the front, and 2" from the rear, and we know the block is 5" at the bottom (I measured this too), that would make the pin 1/4". From my observation, I was guessing it was about 9/16" (but was hoping someone would confirm this.)

What do you think?

On the softtop, if you remember, we did that survey which color I should pick, and most people told me to go with black. Well, I am dang glad I did. The black looks awesome on a white Bronco, with lots of black/chrome trim and black/chrome wheels!
The reason I was so hesitant with the white in the first place is that the color white used on the softop matches the old white ford used, up until the body style change in '92. That old color is like an egg shell white, and I don't think it would look good with my white, which is now a Ford polar white.
See if one of the guys will buy it from you. It's new, so if you offered it up for say $350, that is a bargain to someone, and most of the money you would need for a black one ($490).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:20 PM

oops, i must have screwed that up last night.
a pics worth a thousand words right? well, heres two thousand words for you.
pin side

hole side

Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 954642-Mvc-021s.jpg (25.2 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks Zach, a pic is worth the words. That hole that used to have the pin in it (bottom side of the tapered block)....was the pin just welded in there and yours broke free?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:36 PM

it was weled, and it sheared off due to the locker and big tires. i pounded the part that was in there out with the big hammer and punch today so you could see the outline of the hole better.
Zach
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:47 PM

So in basic there splitting wedges with a hole in the middle?

That gives me some ideas.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:53 PM

no, notice we are talking about a pin? thats why that one is out and broke, the pin sheared off the bottom
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:53 PM

so tis a wedge with a hole in one side and a pin in the other. So it lines up with the pin coming off the leaf springs and the axle mount thingies and keeps it in alignment with the springs. Im figuring this i to keep from having to adjust those axle mount thingies( cant rember what there called but i know what they look like) from being repositioned to match the driveshaft angle. That would leave only one angle in the driveshaft vs two there for there would be less torque being produced at an angle different to rotation of the pinion flange, or in thsi case less force to make it break. Although i might be completely off on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode