Looking for ford information web site - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Looking for ford information web site

I'm trying to decide on a drive train and need a lot of information. Like what trucks had what transmission and t-case. Axle applications and widths. If there was ever a ford passenger drop t-case and what it bolts to. And I'm sure I'll need to know more. I'm hoping there is a good web site for all this because I don't want to bother you all too much. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 03:25 AM

Re: Looking for ford information web site

What are you looking to build? If you could tell us that we may be able to help you more. I doubt you would be bothering us with questions unless the question is if 33's will fit under a Bronco stock without a lift. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm building a Scrambler. I want a np435, np208, and full width axles. The front can be a 44 or a 60. The rear can be anything full floating. I will be using hummer bead locks with at least 36" tires. I will need custom high steer arms or wheel spacers to make them fit. The rear axle will be welded, the front will have a quick-lock. The engine will be the amc 258.

I can get a 76 F-250 for little to no money. It has a 4 speed and a divorced transfer case, I can't have a divorced case. The front axle is a dana 44, 8 lugs, open knuckles, disk brakes, 4.10 gears. The rear is big and floats. I could use these axles but would need a tranny and t-case.

Today I found a 78 F-350 with single rear wheels. It costs $600 and runs. I haven't seen the truck yet but it supposedly has dana 60s front and rear and a 460. Would the 78 d60 front be high pinion? Kingpin? Should this truck have a d60 rear or would it be something bigger? I would think that being a 1 ton, it would have a np205. Will a np208 bolt up in its place? I know its weaker but it has a lower gear and I don't think I will break it. What are the chances of this truck not having a divorced t-case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Shilo

HOLY COW! That F350 you found sounds like a steal at $600! If nothing else you should buy it just to resell that front end for $1200 or more. It will be king pins. Not sure on the divorced/or not case.

But make sure it really is a '78 and has an open knuckle 60 front.

For pass side drop t-cases, you've gotta go way back, like early '70's or before. I think Marmon-Herrington used pass drop when they were building Ford's 4x4's? Anyway, I've never kept up on it 'cause it was a long time ago. For all practical purposes if you're using Ford it's gonna be driver's side drop only.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

should be a married case on a 78 and also a 208 will bolt in place of it if thats what you want. yep, kingpin (time for some hi-steer!) driver's drop D60 and D60 rear, nice equipment for the price [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Norm...for the record dude....i have no lift on my bronco and i stuffed Cooper 33" A/Ts underneath.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

and if i just opened up a can of worms sayin that...my apologies....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I need a drivers drop case if I use the ford front. Will any ford np208 bolt up (if its a married case) or are there differences among the cases? Would this d60 rear have 30 or 35 spline shafts?

I'm going to look at the truck tomorrow.

If it has a divorced case, would anyone consider trading me an np435 and np208 for the whole truck (or any parts you want from it) minus the axles? Is runs and has a 460.
Or if this deal goes away, I could trade the f-250 minus axles for the same thing. It has a 351, 4 speed, a divorced case, a fair body and ran before the battery died in 93.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:59 AM

No can of worms but for the record... Why would you think I didn't kow that? The tire question is usually the first question guys ask on this board and reference to a well known joke to the regulars here. I think its cool that a guy wants to use some Fomoco power for a change rather than going the usual Chebby route. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode