AGR Power Steering Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AGR Power Steering Pump

Hi! Been lurking when I can for a little while. Has anyone replaced their PS pump with an AGR? Is an AGR worth the extra money? If not, where is the best parts place to buy on the street corner? TIA. 1990 mostly stock EB, 302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Old Hand

Re: AGR Power Steering Pump

Swap a saginaw out of a van. RepT grabbed a pump and bracket from a yard by us for $25. That is probably the cheapest and bestest streering upgrade you'll find for beer money. But grab the bracket. I know the one for the ALT is $200 from the dealership. I think there is a way to mod the stock braket to make it work but it's easier to get the right one. You'll also need a hHigh pressure line too. I think the whole ordeal cost him like $50 and he said it's like turnin on 31's all over again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:28 PM

Yeah, the saginaw is definitely a great pump, but i dont think they offered them on the 302's. If you had a 302 bracket and a 351 bracket to stare at at the same time, i bet youd be able to figure out a way to make it work.
I got my pump from a yard for $25, plus new hoses which was about $20. With all that extra cash left over, you could probably pay someone to mod the bracket for you if couldnt do it yourself. And the Saginaw is a great pump, it makes my 35's feel like 31's! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:43 PM
froggy

Ive been looking at the agr myself. Rebuilt my old one but the damn rataining nut wouldnt come off the worm gear so i could only rebuild a portion of the box. Only to blow the whole entire lower seal out. Emptied all my fluid on the ground in about 2 secs. But yeah im going AGR for that also.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Old Hand

The bracket should fit either engine. When i did the water pump on my friends 250 i think i used the inner hole to go over one of the studs on the water pump . He has a 351. On my 302 i used the outer hole. The 351 blocks are wider or have a different deck height or something. Ford loves using the same parts for like 7 different vehicles. It's actually good for junkin purposes. U can take parts off a damn pinto and use them. Hmmmm a 4wd pinto ooohhh
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:21 PM

Ive seen one, the pinto that is, in next town over its got about 18 inches of channeled lift on it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:18 PM
BoulderBronco7

I have the AGR and after replacing it four times because it leaked I like it. It is much better than stock but I agree with the other guys. Try the Saginaw swap. It is much cheaper. I actually like the ps pumps on the trucks but thats just me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

I investigated the AGR box a few months ago, but I decided a reman OE was a better buy. I'd probably go the same route for the pump, too...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 09:26 PM

For anyone wondering how the 86 V belt set up to Saginaw is going

I dropped my OE plastic pump yesterday and wedged it up against the rad shroud so I could test the baked saginaw and it's bracket off the 78 van.

The pivoting bolt(into the block) located it no problem, just had to shorten the 1978 van aluminum spacer a 1/2". The pulley location lines up the belt perfectly, but I had to go to a 49.0 inch belt from the stock 50.5" belt(guessed it right, first time).

The lower adjustment channel of the bracket was off by about 7/16" (too low). Pulled the bracket off and marked it with liquid paper (white out) and augered it out with the old die grinder. This will mean I need a fender washer to let the adjustment bolt bite properly. Put the whole thing back together with the stock plastic PS pump, until I can afford a new Saginaw later in the month.

Does anyone know how I'm gonna get that pulley off the old pump ? Looks like it's part of the shaft now ! There seems to be a huge alan bolt hole in the middle.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

PSPulley removal

It takes a MUTHA of a tool to get it off - the hole in the shaft is really for installing the pulley. Do a Google or Yahoo search for "ford power steering pulley tool" or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode