mpg gauge? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: mpg gauge?

That's what they use on factory economy gauges - just a vac gauge of some sort. The $6 mechanical one I got from JCW has markings for mileage on it, but the're pretty meaningless - it's good for showing how far open the throttle plates are, which is a good indication of your mileage.

If you wanted to do a true electronic one, you'd have to have 2 flow meters - one to see how much fuel was going to the rail and one to see how much was being returned to the tank. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Remember, EFIs use a looped fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: mpg gauge?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Remember, EFIs use a looped fuel system

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats why I was thinking you would need to measure the pulse width &amp; fuel pressure. I didn't think of measuring the fuel in the return line and subtracting it from the fuel in the feed line. How much would an inline "fuel flow meter" be? And what type of signal would it send? Analog sygnals suck because the input voltage can effect the reading. A digital signal would be more acurate and easier to program for but I'm sure the sensor(s) would cost more.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Analog

You do the same thing as with the fuel flow - don't use the absolute signal; use the DIFFERENCE in the signal and the reference voltage. That's how the EFI fuel, temp, and oil pressure gauges work with no cluster voltage regulator - they have 3 terminals instead of 2. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: Analog

Ha ha Muddy 30mpg !

That's a good one ! Make that downhill with a tailwind ! The vacuum gauge is a far less accurate indicator than what our man's looking for. Hope he comes up with something, I'd be interested.

Sixlitre
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 06:50 PM

What about pulling one from a vehicle that has one. My buddy has a early 90's Cougar. The gauge is in the cluster, but maybe it's an individual component and you could follow the harness to the various sensors that it may have. Just find a vehicle that has a readout that you like. There always seems to be a place to mount something when you need it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 07:26 PM

see all you got to do is look at where the key is at in your ignition. OFF position uses very little fuel, while ON position uses to much so when you go down hill you turn it to off and coast.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 03:54 PM

Yeah I had a friend one time who thought he'd try to save gas one night on the foothills. He decided to turn the ignition off and "save maximum gas," it got real scary once the steering wheel and brakes locked up. I thought we were going to die for sure and thats not the first time. This guy totaled 5 cars before he even got out of high school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode