Good Bronco Tech/Mod. Site - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Good Bronco Tech/Mod. Site

This guy's site is good. has some good ideas. He is in Colorado, and I especially liked (and am going to use the same pattern) his rear axle custom shock mounts.

BurnedBronco, he also did a complete gas tank shield (full sides) using 1/4" steel for the bottom/fore/aft and 3/16" for the sides. This may give you an idea or two.

Stein's Bronco Page, Tech stuff

enjoy! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:10 PM
Shilo

Re: Good Bronco Tech/Mod. Site

Larry's a good guy, just 'wheeled w/him last month. I particularly like the custom t-case skid he built, but I don't think he has pics of it. The only flaw is that he kept a D44 front LOL. Check out his recent carnage:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:00 PM
vitaminc

wow...how does one manage to do that?

looks like more than a bailing wire/duct tape fix, do we all need to carry spare steering knuckles with us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

mmmm, carnage [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

his tank skid is muy muy nice!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:03 PM

Damn. I'l bet that weighs more than my bumper! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't call it a skidplate as much as a vault! It would wear out a jack hammer trying to get in that thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I liked it too, which is why I thought burnedb. might like to see it. Only thing I would like would be like on mine, the rear is curved, just like stock. 3/16" is just the max for me and a BFH to "manually" bend to your liking.

Shilo, how did that happen? What tire is he running? In his picks it looked like around a 36". He must have really been gettin' at something for that to happen. Those in our group with 460 and D44 fronts are now experimenting with CTM's and Warn alloy shafts for less breakage, but in this case, that's just a sour knuckle. Could it have been weak to begin with? Took a hit on something?

I would like to see his work on the t-case skid. Always interested in something better. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

A theory

I'm betting the U-joint fragged first, and then pushed the knuckle outward when the 2 yokes tried to mix it up with the wheels turned. If the knuckle had let go of the ball joint first, the inner axle stub would have just slipped out of the diff & disengaged power to that wheel.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 12:11 AM
Shilo

Re: A theory

Yep, this is common on D44 fronts, I've seen it several times. U-joint lets go, broken shaft is now in there flailing around VERY violently, takes out knuckle. Just like a broken d/s can put a hole in your floor. CTM's probably woulda saved him a lot of grief.

And Juice Berne got those Warns for a good deal, I'm still not convinced they make sense if you gotta pay retail, and tell Berne he's still :rainbow:
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:58 AM

Re: A theory

*sigh* Add one more thing to my todo list....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode