Difference in exhaust components - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Difference in exhaust components

What is the difference between an 83's exhaust (351W in all cases) and say an 89 or so.

Is it just how the cat hooks up or something? I only ask because I see lots of exhaust options for newer Broncos but next to none for my 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: Difference in exhaust components

anyway you can fit it in
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Veteran

Dont know about pre-EFI 5.8Ls (`87&Earlier) but the cat outlet on the `86 5.0L EFI and `87-UP 5.8L is 2&1/4", with a 2&1/2" tailpipe on the 5.8Ls. I have found the problem arises in the muffler bracket that FORD changed in `87 models [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
I have an `86 and no-one offers a system *before* 87, so i got one for a 87-96 bronco,(Flowmasters #17132) and just fabricated a bracket for the muffler.

Thats all i can suggest, good luck
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Craig,

So basically they run the same route and the bends over the axel remain the same?

That's really what I was asking, guess I should've gone through the barn instead of around it huh?

I can fab the rest. Just don't want to have custom pipes made.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Same route & bends , YES...

The flowmaster system i got is rather quiet though (which i prefer)and since the mufflers oval unlike the factory round can, it must be mounted at an angle so you dont fry your driveshaft slipjoint boot.

The thing i really like is after the axle, the mandrel bent tailpipe curves slightly upwards so it dont dangle a foot off the Qtr. panel like the stock ones, mines only about an inch & a half off the body.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:46 PM

Broncomania

Question for fellow 86er. Are the exhaust manifolds for an 86 EFI 5.0 the same as later EFI 5.8s ? I'm about to build that new system with the flowmaster 2 into 1 Y-pipe and the 3" cat. I was wondering if I can bolt up 2 1/4" flared headpipes to the stock manifolds without the crushable donuts. I've had that Y-pipe off twice in the last few years and although I remember the headpipes are smaller than 2 1/4", I never thought to measure the manifold flared end to see if they'd fit.

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Im not sure i know all the differences between the 5.0 and the 5.8 exhaust manifolds, but i know their not interchangable, even the shorty headers that are available for 5.0s & 5.8s have a different part #, my guess would be different outlet diameter and the fact that the 5.8 is a taller block.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:31 PM
froggy

Well I just found it easier to have mine fabricated. The only stock part on mine is the pipes coming off the manifold down into one pipe and right after the o2 sensor is where its all new. Replaced the stock hi and low flow cats with one performace cat which is rated better then my old emmisions. Then after the cat I had it Y back out into dual pipes. Cant have true dual exhaust in the state of virginia , its illegal.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

<font color="blue">Sixlitre</font color>:
The 5.0 manifolds don't exit in the same location as the 5.8's due to the block being wider on the 5.8.
Also, the outlets are smaller. (don't know the exact dia.)
And, another difference.....the 5.8's have an A.I.R. inlet on the RH (passenger side) manifold that is not on the 5.0's.
Here's a pic from the JBA website (click on Ford Trucks) that shows the differences.
Note, these headers fit up to the stock y-pipes, so there's definitely a difference in "exit" locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 951319-headers.jpg (15.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode