E4OD Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

E4OD Rebuild

I worked in a Ford Dealership for a few months abd whenever the subject of rebuilding the E4OD trans came up everyone grumbled and moaned. They said that there was a buttload of "updates" that had to be performed when you rebuilt it. Has anyone out there actually rebuilt it themselves? Is it worth the trouble? I know there are a few special tools that are needed but i can get my hands on them thru school. I did a search and found that a few of you guys were talking about pulling and rebuilding it yourselves and i was just curious as to the outcome. I know it is a heavy unit and I REFUSE to pay someone with less qualification to do the work half-A$$ed and then take a chunk out of my wallet that would be better spent on beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: E4OD Rebuild

Not sure anyone has attempted it here...but

The updates talked about generally are for units before 1995. If you have a 1995 or later most of the updates had been addressed at the factory.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:51 AM

I think most of the guys here were talking about installing the over-the-counter type shift kits, not necessarily a full rebuild. Don't know if anyone got so far as to installing the kit, but I changed my mind after talking to a few shops and knowing that there's a lot more that can be done while it's apart.

<font color="blue">TheJuice</font color> is right, the '95's and later got the stronger parts from the factory. But it's still not the strongest trans [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 04:10 PM

Actually BurntPiston, I think the E4OD is alright. It is heavy, but if treated well, and if ya have one that is a '95+, they seem to be pretty reliable, including towing duties.

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well i have an AOD w/ about 60K on a rebuild now and the 250 i'm getting has a E4od and i was wondering it if was worth rebuilding and using. i don't tow anything so thats not a concern. Is the E40d (1990) really that much stronger than the AOD?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:26 PM

I know my truck had bad luck with the E4ODs (2 in 110k mikles) but my dad got 225K with no rebuild. Mine was a '93 and his a '92 (E350)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 PM

Well, the one in my father's truck (90 f150) has been going strong with no signs of stopping. And i personally have towed about two tons with it with no problems! Being able to turn off OD is great! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
But then theres the 96 E250 at work. This has the crappiest e40d ive ever seen. After the truck heats up, the OD light starts blinking, and the shifting starts to get weird. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
I think it all comes down to how well it was taken care of. This van obviously wasnt!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

The 250 shifts fine and everything but has only had the fluid changed 1 time in 150k. That is why i'm opting to rebuild.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:53 PM

I guess, no fluid changes in an auto = death and troubles.

I don't really think the E4OD is necessarily stonger than the AOD, it is just newer technology. Were many AOD's used in the heavier trucks before the E4OD years?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Apparently the E4OD is quite beefier than the AOD, but also supposedly either can be beefed up in the aftermarket to handle anything you can throw at it. From my part searches, I can say with confidence that the AOD was never offered behind a big block, they stayed with the C6 til the E4OD came around. That should tell you something, but that doesnt mean the AOD is any less-reliable than the E4OD, it just didnt seem big enough mathematically for big block torque at max towing capacity. In fact, I saw a rebuilder on eBay has the AOD's rebuilt for about $500, whereas an E4OD rebuild is twice that, which definitely got me thinking about swapping in an AOD... jury is still out on that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode