E4OD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E4OD

What makes an E4OD downshift from OD? Mine usually won't downshift until it slows to under 55 mph. I will downshift fine if I take it out OD. I guess it is a solenoid but my book doesn't say much about the E4OD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: E4OD

could be TPS... do a resistance check on it as you go from idle to WOT (engine off) and check the values against what the manual says they should be

mine doesnt like to upshift from OD either, and sometimes pushing the cancel button won't work either [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

my TPS tests out ok, so I'm thinking either a solenoid pack problem or my PCM has gone nuts, but until I get my test harness I wont know if the solenoids are good or not. since my tranny acts SO weird, it does almost seem like the PCM may have gone bad, but I think a tranny shop or stealership is the only way to test a PCM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

I didn't know you were still waiting for that! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I thought you said you'd just unplug the harness near the firewall to do your tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

I havent looked at it, but is that going to be more difficult than just swapping harnesses at the tranny? I need to get under there and follow the bundles around to see where it all meets up, maybe I dont really need that pigtail. I drive it so little up here at school that I dont ever get motivated to work on it, which obviously leaves more time for beer guzzling [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've put up with that damn tranny for years now so it's not like I'm in a huge hurry to get it fixed anyway, so I wouldn't say i'm "waiting" for the harness, but if it shows up in my mailbox I might motivate myself to go out there and do some probing [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Maybe a little harder, but probably not worth the cost of shipping. The green hand points to the connectors under the master cylinder and the red one points to the transmission connectors. There are only a few retainer clips on that harness, so peeling it out of the frame should only take a couple of minutes, IF you even need to. You can probably work on them under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 947543-E4ODHarness.jpg (89.3 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

ok, as long as there's no other circuitry affecting the solenoid readings then i should be able to use the engine bay harness, which i think there might be (MLPS), but i can just disconnect the harness on the MLPS and should get a clear path to the solenoid pack. figuring out the pin numbers, on the other hand, might be a task [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Mud in my Veins

Not really - Haynes has all the wire colors & I'll send you the pinouts.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 02:01 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I drive it so little up here at school that I dont ever get motivated to work on it, which obviously leaves more time for beer guzzling

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm... sounds familiar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode