How to make this cable work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

How to make this cable work?

hmm, im trying to find a way to get this cable(cable acuater out of a JD combine) to work as a hand throttle cable. i got it hooked up on my carb and sercured through the firewall. Its not that hard of a pull, but i need somethign that will lock it into position and hold it there. The bike shifter cable set up wont work due to forces required to pull the throttle. this cable i had laying around had a much better way to secure it to the fender so it could pull the throttle without the cable housing wanting to move. Any ideas welcome!!

ohh, this isnt my bronco as you can tell, but some of you guys have the best information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: How to make this cable work?

why do you want a hand throttle and why does it need to lock into position? if you just need to get the Zuk started moving on a hill, you could put your feet on the gas/clutch while you work the brakes with the stock hand brake handle. i know you've already got this one setup, but if you want to use a bike shifter for the throttle, you could add a helper spring on the carb to make it easier to open.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I need it because the parking brake isnt to effective, and alot of times it will be starting on more than just little baby hills. sometimes you need all 4 wheel to hold it from rolling. it locking into postion provides a good basis for me to have a foot hard on the clutch, and a foot hard on the brake with a hand on the wheel, and shifter(with the throttle).
Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:42 PM

If you can live without it locking how about a mtn bike brake lever? Mount it on the shifter handle and you'd be all set.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:31 AM

Being able to lock the cable throttle also helps on the rocks doesnt it. I mean it keeps you from lunging forward when you drop down off of the rocks because your foot isnt dropping to the floor due to the sudden stop at the bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode