Cleaning Fuel Injectors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Fuel Injectors

How do I clean fuel injectors? I've heard of two things, soak em in diesel fuel or buy brand new ones. Which should I do, or is there a better way to clean em? Know of any local companies that do that type of cleaning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors

With that new stroker I'd suspect you'd want to get some new hi-flow injectors.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I might go with 24 lb-hr injectors, but I'm not sure if the computer will be able to handle it. Does anybody know if the computer can handle different size injectors? I thought they were programmed for a certain size injector, or maybe thats just speed density computers??? The computer is a Ford Racing mass air conversion computer. I guess I need to give FR a call. According to my Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance book, Engine HP = injector flow rate x number of injectors x 0.8/BSFC. BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption which 0.5 is the median value. So my calcualations show that 19 lb-hr injectors will support 243 HP and 24 lb-hr will support 307 HP. Also, according to Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance, 45 cubic inches will only add 19 HP and 40 lb-ft, but I need to factor in my RV cam. I believe a stock 302 puts out 195 HP, so I believe the 19 lb-hr injectors should be sufficient, but 24 lb-hr injectors would be nice to have knowing that the injectors aren't limiting my engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:57 PM

I've not done any research on the computer, but I would think that since you have increased displacement and air flow, you should be pumping lots more fuel. Especially since the Mustang guys get a bunch-o'-boost just by upping the fuel pressure and injector size on stock displacement five-o's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:54 PM

The mass air meter that with your kit is calibrated to 19# stock injectors.So is the computer.Unless you are going with bigger heads the 19's will work.

Billy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:17 PM
kemicalburns

Hey shovel, I would talk with some mustang guys before you decide on what injectors to use. I know you can pick up a recalibration kit for the mass air for the 24# injectors but I dont think you would have to mess with the computer much. I have a few friends that are into stangs. Ill talk with them to find out if you havent gotten any info from FR.

late
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 01:47 AM

I heard it's better to clean the injectors while the engine runs

K-mart, Wallymart,etc can do this for you real cheap. A buddy of mine just did his RAM and his mileage went up 4-5mpg immediately. With a guzzler like his, that ought to pay off the $65.00 CDN in minutes!

Can you get yours into a shop ?

Sixlitre
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:29 AM

The PCM has a fuel map in it.When you are idling or at part throttle in closed loop mode it adjusts the injector firing based on 02 sensor voltage and mass air reading..With larger injectors you will be getting more fuel per injector pulse.You can buy an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator to tweak on this.Also when you go WOT the pcm does'nt use feedback control it can't react fast enough.At wot the pcm relies on it's programed fuel map.Again you can tweak this by using a adjustable FPR.It's best to have your MAF meter calibrated to your injectors and a chip in your computer to account for all the mods.If you stay with the 19's that will eliminate most of your problems.19's were also stock on the 351 and should be good for 300HP.Again an AFPR can help get more flow out of the 19's by jacking up the fuel pressure.Most mustangs guys use them.

Billy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 01:47 PM

Ford Motorsport 19lb fuel injectors (8 injectors)
Price: $239.99
Brand: Ford Motorsport
Part Num: FMM9593C302

These are direct swap Ford motorsport injectors.
Available in 19lb,24lb,30lb.
Must use with correctly calibrated mass air meter when upgrading to larger injectors, or your car will not run correctly !
For example: 24lb injectors must be used with a mass air meter calibrated for 24lb injectors.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info fellas. I think I'm gonna stick with 19 lb-hr injectors just because of the simple fact that I just spent 620 bones on a mass air conversion kit designed for 19 lb-hr injectors and more importantly I'm broke and can't afford anything else. Later done the road I may look into a bigger mass air meter calibrated for 24 lb-hr injectors. bronocbilly69, so as long as the mass air meter is calibrated for the injectors the computer can handle it??? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I would like to clean my fuel injectors without using the fuel rail method, because I've completely disassembled my lower and upper intake for cleaning and while I got everything off I'd like to clean them. If there isn't any other way to clean the injectors, I guess I'll just wait until everything is put back together and then use fuel injector cleaner the fuel rail way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode