no power in reverse - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no power in reverse

ok i have been told that a ford 4.9 (300 straight 6cyl ) will pull a house down, lots ot pulling power: this is what i have heard from a lot of true blue oval owners say and even that forigen vechile owners say ( chevy people ),, that the ford 6 cyl has house pulling power and torque,, i have replaced my clutch once already. but it still has no balls while towing something in reverse, meaning when ever i am hooked up to either my boat ( about 2g`s in weight ) or my camper ( 5,500# ) when i put it in reverse i lose all torque in motor for pushing it. but towing it forwards i have no problem what so ever..
now it has a brand new clutch and pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing and clutch, master cyl. hydraulic line to centrific slave cly. ( has no mechanical linkage )..
and was told that my catalic converters can be clogged,.
taking a chance and replacing them tommorow. and was also told that since i didnt have flywheel resurfaced ( looked in good shape ) didnt think it needed resurfaced,, that that can cause my no power in reverse and causing me to smoke the clutch in reverse while trying to back up ..
this is in a 1989 fullsize broncoxlt with about 92-93,000 actule miles with a 5 spd tranny,,
now i know a 6cly doesnt compare to a 8cly but for total spent on purchase and new shocks on all 4 corners along with new brakes all the way around along with caipers, rubber brake lines and wheel cyl total spent was less then 1,500 and truck has excelent intior and needs only 4 holes patched,, and i add a bottle of berryman injector cleaner with every oil change.. every 3,500 miles tune ups every 6,500 miles
any help will be greatly appercited,, thnx blackbroncoxlt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: no power in reverse

You have hydraulic brakes on those trailers? Just checking [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:51 AM
Pooh-Bah

Yep, thinking the same thing about the hydraulic "surge" brakes.
There should be an "override" lever to engage in order to back up.
Dad blew up a C6 years ago trying to back our boat into it's parking spot, up a hill.
Once we found out how to override the brakes, there was no problem.
This particular trailer had a lever you pulled up, and put a 2"X2" underneath it to disengage the brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:30 PM

I used to be surprised how many boat owners didn't know about the reverse override...now it's just normal to show them. Even people who've had trailers for years still try to power them up into their driveways.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 09:17 PM

I would have to say BP and WD are in the know. The ONLY other thing I can possibly imagine is the fact that the 1st gear forward and reverse gear I'm sure are numerically different. If the reverse is numerically lower, you will have less power, but there should not be too noticeable of a difference, so, see comments above.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 09:39 AM

my 89 f-150 that i just sold was a in-line 6 with a 5spd and there was not much difference in 1st/rev. backed my bass boat fine
it didnt have the hydrolic brakes bp and wd are talking about
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what is this reverse override

what is the reverse override you are talking about? no offence but that sounds like something a chevy owner would say
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: no hydralic brakes

no brakes what so wever on boat tralor and electric brakes on camper trailor
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Pooh-Bah

Reverse override

It should be on all "surge" type trailer brakes.
Those are the one's that operate mechanically vs. electrically.
When you hit the brakes going down the road, there's a hydraulic system that will sense that, and apply the trailer brakes.
In a nutshell, as the trailer trys to "push" the braking vehicle, the coupling will slide forward towards the vehicle and the trailer brakes will engage.
If you try to back a trailer equipped with "surge" brakes up a hill, or even on flat ground,
it will push the trailer into the vehicle causing the brakes to engage.
That's the situation that the override will eliminate.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

However, you also posted those type brakes are not on either trailer.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Maybe <font color=blue>TheJuice</font color=blue> made a good point about the gear ratios.
Reverse should be low enough though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

Let\'s step back a moment...

You said you replaced the clutch, so obviously you have a manual transmission - what exactly happens when you notice this "lack of power in reverse"????? Does the engine rev up, but the truck &amp; trailer don't move? Does the engine stall? Does the engine lug down, but neither stall NOR move the trailer? Or does the engine rev up &amp; move the trailer but not very fast? Be very specific and thorough in you description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode