Clunk in Rear end area... ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clunk in Rear end area... ??

I have a small clunk in the rear when I take off from a complete stop. I laid under the Rig and rocked it back and forth and I noticed the Rear End was torqueing a little, as almost twisting a small amount, I think it may be loose Ubolts, but really can't tell. Does this sound right, am I looking in the right place... or is there something I am missing...

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: Clunk in Rear end area... ??

If the Ubolts check out ok, try lubing the slip joint in the rear drive shaft. It just may be the most common "problem" on this message board. <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadfordbroncol ate&amp;Number=776873&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=& amp;o=>Here are some instructions</a>.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

That's what mine was! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Don't wait - my axle tube is cracked from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

say what? what's cracked?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:56 PM

He said he has a crack in his rear end[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Billy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Crack in Rear end area...

Yeah, the spring perches appear to be cracked &amp; leaking oil, which is probably why the bearing went out. havack &amp; I spent a couple of hours today on what I expected to be a ONE hour job. I was just gonna pull the cover, the cross-shaft, the L axle, and its bearing, then slap in the repair bearing &amp; throw it all back together, but...

The bolt for the cross-shaft sheared, so we had to drill it out. But we couldn't drill it completely because I didn't have a 1/8x12" drill bit, so I hammered it after havack drilled all the threads off. But the pin stuck thru the other side, so I busted out part of the diff carrier. That wasn't all that big a deal since the shaft could still be retained, but the bearing wouldn't pop out with my makeshift bearing puller, so havack had to go to <font color=red>the Zone</font color=red> and pick up a REAL one for me. But after installing the new bearing, I didn't have my spare cross-shaft bolt at the house, so the truck's rear end is gonna be open all night! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] (Hope my truck doesn't get raped! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) We're gonna go pick it up tomorrow morning. (...and maybe do some off-roading on the way home! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: Crack in Rear end area...

Steve, I think it may be time for a new rear end. Your just isn't right anymore, beyond repair. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, but I've got a guy who'll buy the '96 shortly, so I hate to use it myself. Plus, I don't want that ratio. I'd have to go find another '87-96 3.08 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or regear the '96 axle [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Naaaaaahh... I'll just beat the crap outta this one until something breaks off! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:13 PM

i got to axles steve, do you want one?
$100 for a bare housing and a set of 3.08 gears.
$50 for 2 shafts.
$10 for the flat stye yoke
$10 for the yoke style yoke.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 03:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: placement

No, thanks. I can get one pretty cheap around here or in Shreveport if I ever want to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode