Torque converters 101 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torque converters 101

Here's what I know about a torque converter
1. My truck has one
2. Fluid goes in it
3. It can "die" and prevent a vehicle from operating

Anybody have an introductory good and clear (or poor and cryptic [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) explaination of what a torque converter is and what it does?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:33 PM

Re: Torque converters 101

I am woring on a tech article for this, but here is the simple version:

the T/C bolts to the engine via the flywheel. When the engine turns it will spin the outside shell of the T/C at engine speed. Internally the outside shell has fins line a fan. when it spins they will force the fluid to move around thus turning a second set of fins that are attached to the input shaft of the tranny. The fluid will pass out and go into the tranny go through the filter and hysrolics of the tranny and will reenter the T/C to start all over.

This is very basic but it is like two fans. Your engine spins one fan which causes air to flow thriugh and turn a second fans attached to your tranny.

Clear as MUD?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Havack,
Yeah, I've done some reading on it this morning and understand more how it works. Two fans and viscous fluid so I guess my real question is - why do we have one? I wouldn't think that we'd need to have one of these in our trucks, first because I have a manual tranny but... does it have something to do with the xfer case and 4wd?

The way things bolt up look as follows? :

Engine : torque converter : transfer case : tranny : rear differential

Where the front differential is attached to the flow via the xfer case.

Get that diagram?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually it's Engine:Torgue Converter:Tranny:Transfer case:Rear differential

The purpose of the T/C is to prevent your engine from dying at idle. With a manual tranny, the clutch is used to disconnect the driveline from the engine to keep the engine going at idle. The T/C does the exact same thing. All it does is disconnect the driveline from the engine at idle so that it doesn't die. Just think of two fans facing each other. If you turn one fan on the other one will start to turn. The T/C is simply two fans facing each other. One fan will shoot fluid into the other one, thus turning it and the driveline.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have a manual tranny then you do not have a torque converter. A torque converter is only used in an automatic tranny it replaces the clutch in a manual tranny. So auto torque converter, manual clutch. Hope this helps and Good Luck,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:14 PM

That's right. The torque convertor is the heart of why you would want an auto vs. manual. It is the clutch so to speak. It works on that job, so we don't have to. The convertor, and all the hydraulics and the larger housing needed for all this are why autos are usually always heavier, and more complex (read potentially more problematic) compared to manuals.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:47 PM

The convertor, and all the hydraulics and the larger housing needed for all this are why autos are usually always heavier, and more complex (read potentially more problematic) compared to manuals.

this is why i prefer my 4 speed plus with it i know she wont drive it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

www.howstuffworks.com <--- it's on there somewhere
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:04 PM

I got to stop by my favorite tranny shop and get some internal pics of a T/C for a tech article. Pics will speak volumes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Shilo

Havack, what I really wanna know is how does the E4OD lock the torque converter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode