Yeah, yeah, another tire question :p - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, yeah, another tire question :p

So the Big O ATs are getting to the end of their days and I'm looking for a replacment tire. Thing is, I'd like to get some reviews on tires. Is there a place online that's got customer reviews? You guys are more than welcome to make suggestions...

Here's what I'm looking for :
- 31" (Yeah, I know. I'm actually going up an inch here...)
- Something like an M/T. Nothing crazy, this is my "weekend wagon", so I do a lot of highway miles, I'd like decent tread wear, with a fair amount of off road. No mud, just rocks, sand, dirt.

I was looking at :
Goodyear Wrangler MTR
BF Goodrich T/A KM

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: Yeah, yeah, another tire question :p

My opinion, both those tires you mention are good, though for different purposes. The MT/R is truly a great off road tire, and has good manners on road for a more aggressive tire. WD-40 and shilo I think both run this tire.

The BFG AT is a good all around tire, more for on road.

Don't you see any snow???? I used my Wild Country TXR's in Denver and they work very well on/off road and for snow/icy. Get pretty good mileage from them too. Just not sure where the closest Les Schwab would be.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Juice,
Actually, I went back and searched for "tires" on this board and read you're report on the MT/Rs. And yes on the snow... I guess I didn't really consider that off-roading, but I do need to consider it. Wild Country TXRs, huh? I'll look into them.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:54 PM

You mean you read WD-40's report? I know a lot about them because they will probably be the next tire I buy, but I don't think I did a report on them. WD has tested them in a variety of conditions and likes them. I think for a more agreesive tire that still has good street manners, this is the tire. I like siping though, and I would have these tires siped.

As to Wild Countries, Les Schwab is the retailer I know of with these, but they are actually made by TBC tire corp. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.multimiletires.com/about/index.html>http://www.multimiletires.com/about/index.html</a>
This link takes you to the Wild Country tires. Find the TXR's and you will get a decent pic. This tire works well everywhere. It is hampered in mud due to not really any staggering of the outer blocks or lugs, and lack of a sidewall tread of any kind, which the MT/R has. It does clean fairly well though, the lugs are large like the MT/R, not small like a BFG MT, and there is plenty of siping. You could even stud these. They are a bit noisy on road, and mileage will just be OK. They have a fairly soft tread rubber, so wear will be so-so. Price was in the $140-150 range for 35's. They have worked well in snow. Oh almost forgot, I run these in sand too and they do well. Just an alternative, can't go wrong with the MT/R's though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:05 PM

I know someone else who bought the MTR's and he loves em, says they handle great in all condidtions, so thats another vote towards them, i guess!
Im actually kinda curious about BFG's M/T KM's. They look great up in person, but i havent really heard anything about them...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 05:03 PM
x2shooter

I have a question for you guys that run in loose sand.

Does the more aggressive tread like the MTR's or BFG M/T's work well as compared to an all-terrain type tread? Or would I be "digging my grave" in the loose stuff?!

Everything that I have read says that the BFG's are a good choice for a tire that will see a bunch of street use and still give good traction off-road in mud, sand, snow, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 PM

In sand mudder type tires work just fine. The trick to not Burying yourself is:

1) don't rip into it from the getgo. "gather" speed. Vehicle weight is generally the problem here. Don't try to copy what a sandrail can do off the line. See 5 below.
2) Harsh turns, going slow, and the go pedal don't mix well
3) there are different kinds of sand, beach sand by the water packs more, dry sand in dunes is less firm (no water content)
4) stop in places where your start puts you in gravity's favor (slope down)
5) Once you get moving, the mudder types generally work as well or better, depending on what you are aired down to, and weight of vehicle/power/gearing. The only time they usually cause problems is with those unaccustomed to sand who panic on the gitgo.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 05:51 AM
x2shooter

Thanks Juice. I am glad to hear that the mudder tread will work for what I do. I plan on buying the BFG mudders next tire change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode