Woops! (Another "Burned" Bronc) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Woops! (Another \"Burned\" Bronc)

(From the Zuk forum)
<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadsuzuki&amp;Numb er=864963&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;v c=1>Bad day</a> for a fellow Bronco owner.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Woops! (Another \"Burned\" Bronc)

Damn. I keep saying I need to get an extinguisher, but I haven't done it yet. Stuff like this makes me feel lucky on one hand and stupid on the other.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 07:00 PM

That does suck. I don't think a fire extiguisher would of helped though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 07:20 PM

And mount it where you can get at it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:49 PM

Any idea what started it? An extinguisher saved my truck once already. I keep mine right under my seat held in place with a bungy cord. NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Shilo

All those guys over there are interested in talking about how important an extinguisher is (AND IT IS) but as an owner of a very similar vehicle I'd be more interested the VEHICLE SPECIFICS, ie what exactly caused this fire? Anyone know the owner or the guy who was asked to post them?

We might be able to prevent the need to ever break out the fire extinguishers for this.....?

And yeah, I know it looks like he might have cracked his gas tank on that rock, but it would have had to have been one heell of a whack as I've come down hard on my tank before and dented right thru the stock skid to the tank..... but to actually RIP that metal would take a tremendous force...unless he had signifcant rust... and even then, WHAT EXACTLY caused it to ignite? I'm not 100% convinced about what appears to be a trail of fluid behind him? Plus exhaust gases are already spent, no? Will they in and of themselves cause fuel to ignite? I can see where the heat of the tailpipe _might_ do this, but not the actual exhaust gases.......?

Less speculation and more actual answers would help us all. And my sincerest condolences to the owner! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Mud in my Veins

damn that sucks! who sells a quality extinguisher? going to get one tomorrow. can they brave the elements? outside would be a nice place to have one. if you banged a hole in the tank then dragged the metal across a rock, that alone would be enough to ignite the fumes and send the whole thing up in a blaze. being able to quickly get the battery terminal connectors off is another important thing to have... i found that out when my 4awg stereo wire welded itself to a ground... if the battery had exploded there's no telling what would've gone up in smoke.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:52 AM

i dont kn9ow about you, but i have 3 extingushers in my truck. behind each front seat, and in fornt of the console.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:49 AM

I don't think that is fuel behind the truck. If it was it would be on fire.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

Ignition

The exhaust isn't hot or flammable enough to ignite gasoline, or it would burn coming out the tailpipe. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You CAN do that on carb'ed / non-cat'ed engines by adding a spark plug to the tailpipe, but a good-running engine won't put out enough HC emissions for it.

If the fire WAS caused by the tank rupture, it's more likely it was from the spark of steel on stone than from gas on the exhaust pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode