new rubber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

new rubber

I just found out that my front tire is wearing really wierd. It's wearing like one of my shocks is worn out. I have quad shocks in the front and couldn't tell any difference in the ride. I would like to know what y'all think. What kinda shocks would you recommend (my budget is really small at this point), and what kinda tire would you recommend? I was thinking about BFG Mud terrains T/A, but I don't want to buy tires all the time. I drive 80% highway (20% loose dirt and mud), and want a tire to last over 50K miles. I don't know if that is possible with a mud terrain tire or if I'll have to get an All terrain tire. I had a good friend tell me that one of the worst tires for mud is an All terrain, but I had to check with you guys first. I have All terrains now and they seem to do well in mud, but I still worry. Well, enough rambling for now. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:37 PM

Re: new rubber

from my own experiencei was running at's on my bronco they were ok in a little mud i could power thru it but anything over 12" and it was over i also stuck the bronco to the frame with them(only time i have got it stuck)after that i went with mud tires and am very happy with them i know it was a trade off on the mileage but mine is more weekend off-roading than anything
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wild Country's. I have one of the more aggresive tread designed ones and have gotten millions of miles out of them. They 4X pretty dang well for not being Swampers. They are a little noisy on the road, but handle well and last a long time.
My other set are Wildcats. They last longer and look almost the same but cost $100 less on a set of four. They are harder rubber though and don't have quite the same bite as Wild Country's. They are noisy too, but surprisingly a nice ride.
I have a spare set of wheels with my Swamper Boggers for competition use and if we actually plan some run where I may need them.
My Wild Country serve well for minor four wheel drive needs and I only mount the Boggers occasionally. They are also better in the snow.
I do a lot of wheeling and 90% is with my Wild's. I just remember to not go through anything real nasty if I don't have a back up rig and a rope!
I also have a set of Marshall 35's. They really blow and are strictly highway tires. They look real mean and cool, but are about as worthless as Thornbirds except they last a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

Michelin LTX's last a LOOOOOOONG time (I got about 100Kmi out of a set of A/T's), but they're a little expen$ive... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] CarQuest lifetime Bruiser Gas shocks are only about $25 ea, and I've posted the PNs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I just remembered something...Awhile back I was cruizen (anywhere from 40-60mph) down a back road in the boonies and went across a bridge. On the other side of the bridge was about a 4-5 inch deep hole, and I hit it full force. From then on when I hit other bumps or potholes (like we have a lot in Ok [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), I can hear a sound at my front end. It sounds like something broke loose, but I can't see anything. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of shock mount or something else. If so, my factory shocks might be alright and not needing replacement (at least until its within budget). Does anyone know of an easy way to re-create what's going on up front so I can have someone watch to see what's broke or loose? I thought about mounting a video camera at my fender, but that's a little off the wall and none too easy. Thanks in advance!!

BTW what kinda mileage did you get (or have you gotten) out of those Wild Countries. I'm running 2 Michelin's already, and they work well and have worn well, but I was looking into a mud terrain to see if they're worth it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can't really answer the question of how many miles I've gotten out of the Wild Coutry's because of how often I switch tires for different applications and all...but right now they have 60%tread left and I bought them 4 years ago. They have also done a lot of highway towing miles with a car trailer and a lot of drives to my parents house (20+ trips) and they live 400 miles away. Plus I live in the sticks so every time I go to town (which is sometimes 5 times a week) I rack up minmum 50miles but usually 75-100 miles.
The Bronco has put on 30,000 miles since I put them on and since the odometer broke, but some of them were off road with my Boggers and my California trip was with my 35's.
BTW, the 35's didn't get better mileage on the open road because the motor had to work harder because the gears became taller. If it was a flat stretch and I never had to slow down they would, but the only place that would apply really is the midwest....didn't look at your bio so I don't know where you are from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode