Engine not running good ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:47 PM
luddeluring

Engine not running good !

Hi there. I have some problems with my 96 Bronco 5.8 Liter engine, It doesent run smoothley and around 35Mph the car runs really bad, i`m not sure how to explain it, but when i drive it feels like someone is shaking the seat back and forth realy fast, almost like a " vibrating ' feeling.

And also, i know the Bronco is thirsty for gas, BUT !! i think mine is really heavy on the gas !! How many miles per gallon is " normal " ?

If anyone have any ideas of what it could be, id really apreciate any help/ tips.

Thank`s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine not running good !

Sounds like your timing is off. Try adjusting your base timing. Hope this helps and Good Luck,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

does sound like timing also check your fuel pump and pressure, how long has it been since you cleaned the injection system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

Check your u-joints, spark plug gaps &amp; wires, oxygen sensor (HEGO), EGR valve, coil, and dist. cap &amp; rotor. Don't expect more than 15mpg, but below 10 is bad. Have you read <a target="_blank" href=http://www.performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/>this</a>?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 11:10 PM
luddeluring

Thank`s for your replies and tips !
Anyhow, I got a Haynes manual and it said in that one that it could be the fuel filter, so i got a new one, but that didnt help, and how do you clean the fuel injection system ? can you do that yourself or do you need to have that done at a shop ?

I also saw a sticker under the hood that the timing wasnt adjustable on my " truck ", isn`t that strange ? what do they mean ?

I also got new spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, still no improvement.

Anyhow, how many horse power is it in the engine and how much Torque ? it`s a 351 Windsor, i just think that the engine seems to lack in power, i mean, on flat ground it`s fine, but as soon as there is a slight uphill i have to like " step " on it quite alot to keep the speed up, and sometimes when i go on the highway around 60 - 65 Mph and there is a slight uphill, the transmission have to " kick down " to be able to keep the speed up, i know it`s a big and heavy truck, but still ! I have read so many " rewievs " on different places about the Bronco how " powerful " it is and so on, but i havent noticed that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, thats all for now, and again, thank`s for your replies !
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:48 AM
Mud in my Veins

you might have a clogged cat. i finally got all that screen and honey comb out of mine tonight and MAN its like twice the power and it sounds like a truck again! i can actually hold long interstate grades in overdrive, and this is with 3.55 gears and 35" tires. i'm doing the big hill run tomorrow to see if it will accelerate up that like it used to a long time ago... if so then i think i finally found my power zapper [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the second cat is the only one i touched, the first one is still intact but i banged on it and it doesnt sound like much is in there... anybody know if that ones worth gutting? i want to clear it out as much as possible because i'm going to have a hi-flow cat and muffler put on after the stock cat pipe and dont want to have too much restriction.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have a dist. the base timing is adjustable. The timing advance, etc... is controled by the computer but you have to set the base for the computer. You do this by disconnecting a wire (can't remember what it is called basically it is the advance) that goes to the dist. and then set the base timing to 10 degrees BTDC. Check your Haynes manual for the procedure and to tell which wire. Hope this helps and Good Luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode