Hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hubs

ok i have a clicking sound from my front end when i have 4wd engaged and the front wheels are not turning so i am assuming my hubs are not engaging. i would like to put manual warn hubs on. how hard is it to do? what special tools do i need?

also i have a '96 and i have searched this forum and some say '96s are strange. what is exactly different on the '96s?

i also need a hub conversion kit correct? i am not familiar with the way the ford auto hubs engage, are they vacuume or do they engage via something else? i am asking this cause will i have to modify anything after i install the manual hubs so the computer does not try to engage the auto hubs that are not there anymore?

also would having a hub that is not engaging cause any whine while driving in 2wd?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Blown \'96 Auto Hubs

They're totally mechanical - they work off the difference in the speed of the spindle (0mph) and the driveaxle (only turns when the t-case is engaged) - so the computer has nothing to do with it and they don't do anything in 2WD. The whine may be related if the blown hub(s) have fouled the wheel bearings, but that'd be rare.

I'm about to convert my '96 front end, but I think (hope) all it takes is the outer (lock) wheel bearing adjusting nut off my old '83 front axle. That's what I understand is in the "kit" - just a pair of nuts![img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] - but I've never seen the kit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:29 PM
broncoman

I have the same clicking sounds on my 95 but happens in 2 wheel drive and when im turning. I assume its the hubs and will attempt to convert over to manual when I get back home at year end. Post on what you find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 02:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the clicking sound is more like a ratchet sound when i am in 4wd. my rear tires spin and my front end clicks like a ratchet and the tires do not turn.

the whine in the front end is not the sound of a wheel bearing, i was told that it most likely was a brake pad rubbing the disk. but since my hubs do not work any more i thought that they could be making the sound.

also is the front calipers a floating design?

what kind of special tools would i need to change the hubs to manual ones.

also should i go with Warn premium or standard hubs? what are the real differences between the two.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:27 AM

The rachet sound is the sound of a dead auto. This I know.

The whine might be something to do with the autos. Here I am guessing.

Go with the Warn Premiums. They have a lifetime warrenty

You will need a pair of snap ring pliers, a t-25, a 7/64 hex, a couple of screwdrivers (flat tipped) and a hub socket with torq wrench.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/rdu/t/g/tgaunce/bronco/warn_manuals/warn_hubs.html>Here</a> for a quick view of the install for the '96 version of the hubs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:21 PM

The hubs are a piece-o'-cake to change out. I just did it last weekend.

The conversion kit is 2 nuts and a special washer. It replaces all of the other washers and junk inside the old hub assembly and simply holds the rotor to the spindle.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just a comment to follow Havak!...I love the stock Ford 1/4 plastic hubs. Yes I have broken plenty of these...but I have broken plenty of Warn hubs too. The plastic ones are easier to turn and the gears ARE metal.

I actually found one of the cheaper Warn hubs for my Suburban that are identical to a stock Ford with the plastic center. I don't recall if they were lifetime warraty, I haven't broken them yet and I've had them for over a year. (That is saying a lot because I am pretty abusive when I go wheeling.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 07:25 PM

I have Warn Premium Hubs have worked fine for about 8 months. Was really easy to do!-Bob
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

i agree, really the premiums are a waste of money and are more of a pain than the regular black knob warn/ford design. i've only had problems out of my premiums (so i pawned them off on havack [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]), not the others, so i'm sticking with the factory design.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hubs

<font color=blue>deiaggie</font color=blue>
Here's a couple related threads.
<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadfordbroncolate& amp;Number=775080&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp; o=&amp;vc=1>First One</a>
<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadfordbroncolate& amp;Number=747866&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp; o=&amp;vc=1>Second One</a>
<font color=blue>Converted</font color=blue>, you still liking your Superwinch Hubs?

That 1/4 turn has got to be nice.
My Warn Premiums, still going after 7 years, take quite a bit of force to turn.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode