Transmission Thumping when put into Drive and Reve - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:40 PM
rahlberg

Transmission Thumping when put into Drive and Reve

I'm looking for some expert advice from you all out there.

When I put my 95 Bronco into drive, I hear the transmission make kind of a semi-hard "thump". It does the same when I put it in reverse, but the thump is a little louder and harder.

Also, when I'm driving down the road going...say 25mph, and I let off the gas right away, you can hear a mild thump in the tranmission. This sounds like there might be some backlash in the gearing.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks

Russ
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Shilo

Re: Transmission Thumping when put into Drive and Reve

Check your rear u-joints. I had similar symptoms when one of the u's in my double cardan was THRASHED. I couldn't even feel the play until I removed the shaft entirely from the truck. When I disassembled the joint, half the trunion was whittled away!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 05:07 PM

You say you hear it make a semi-hard thump, I assume you <font color=blue>feel</font color=blue> it as well as you drop it into drive or reverse? Or the coast situation. Did this just start? Is it the E4OD? By chance have you recently done a fluid/filter change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:13 PM
birddog1

Assume you have the remarkable E4OD. I'm not one to give expert advice like you requested, but I've lived with this same problem off and on since mine was a year old, been thru 3 transmissions under Ford warranty for various issues including this one, and mine STILL has this problem at 83k miles. I call it clunking when I do a slow down while moving, but its a kick azz BANG from park to reverse frequently enough to remind me the problem is still there. Greasing the slip yoke quietens it for a time, but I have yet to find the solution...I've even talked to Ford regional engineers and they know its an issue but guess what? They dont make Broncos anymore and there arent any still under factory warranty, so you can guess their point of view. Check the u-joints as others suggested as a precaution, but this might be something you will learn to live with.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem last year... though I'm no expert by any means....my tranny mount was bad. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see only one person mentioned tranny mount, but that is where I would start. I also would check motor mounts...sometimes the problem noise doesn't come from the same area as where the problem lies...it can be carried down the line
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Duh... I shoulda' put that in as well.
Along with the busted Tranny mount, I had 2 faulty engine mounts.... not fun. but I'll take it over a crapped out tranny..

Opinions... hahahahahahha Very true, i know it to be Opinions are like.... Everyone has one! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:35 PM
rahlberg

Thanks for all the advice. I took it to the Ford Dealer and had them look at it. One guy said it may be the diff in the back. He looked at the u-joints and said they're fine. Also, looked at the tranny...also fine. He seemed to think it was in the gearing in the diff.

Then he had another guy look at it who knew Bronco's and F150's better, and he said it was a chain inside the transmission case. He said the thunking was the slack in the chain taking up when put in gear. He said it's commong for the Bronco's and F150's and has never been a problem. If the sound busg me, he could change it out, but it's expensive.

Anyhow....thanks again

Russ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

he said it was a chain inside the transmission case

<hr></blockquote>
Actually, that chain is in the transfer case .
It should not have any effect on your "thumping" in 2WD.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Also, I'd do a search for "slip joint" and see what you find.</font color=blue>[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:42 PM

WD-40 is right, what chain in the tranny? That is not how it works. maybe the Transfer case, but you shouldn't be hearing anything from there going down the road in 2WD!

I wonder if there is a third mechanic to go along with these guys....ya know larry, curly, and mo [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You never answered my question though. What I was curious about concerning the fluid change is if you put back too much fluid, this may be making it shift harshly, especially notieable shifting into drive and into reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode