Wiring my auxiliary electric fan. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wiring my auxiliary electric fan.

I know this is basic stuff but . . . I installed my auxiliary electric fan over the weekend and I want to make sure what I did is ok. (I'm not too sure of myself when it comes to wiring) [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] This is what I did:

Had to mount the fan in front of the radiator as a pusher due to clearance issues. I tapped into the accessory side of the fuse box and ran a wire up to a 20 amp toggle switch that I mounted in the dash a little right of the headlight switch. Then I ran wire from the switch through the firewall to the fan. I ran my gound wire from the fan to a spot on the body where there was an existing ground wire. I put a 30 amp fuse on the ground wire. As a pusher the fan is supposed to draw 4 amps. It works fine but I want to make sure everything I did is ok. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wiring my auxiliary electric fan.

Sounds like you got it right... If you wanted to get fancy you could have run from the switch to a relay, then shuttled the N/O side of the relay from the battery to the fan, but that is what bored engineers do.

With all of this rain the last week or so you should have mounted a snorkel as well [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

dc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:58 AM

<a target="_blank" href=http://users.superford.org/gremlin/dia_fans.htm>http://users.superford.org/gremlin/dia_fans.htm</a> Just another idea on how to do this. Sounds like you have got it down though. I like Gremlins page. He is an old guy from Australia with alot of good ideas. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hear ya . . . nice to finally get some rain! Thanks for the feedback.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a cool idea I would do is hook it up to a thermo switch. Find one in a junk Rabbit or something, and solder the fitting into your radiator. There are a whole variety of temp sensors you can screw into the fitting. I has one wire in and one wire out, doesn't matter which is which, and will turn the fan on automatically whenever needed. You can even wire it directly to the battery so there are no wires running through you fenderwell. It will act like all those other cars that say "Caution, fan may turn on at any time". If you are having an overheating issue, it will continue running until it is cooled below whatever temp the switch is, even with the key off. I wouldn't worry about battery drains... my Porsche alternator hardly puts out any amps and that fan will stsay on for a few minutes afrte the car is off and it5 has never needed a jump.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My kit came with a 170 degree thermo switch but it was defective (looks like it was crushed at some point) so I'm sending that part back. I do like the idea of attaching it to the battery.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:44 PM

would it be worth taking off my regular fan and going with an electric i dont have a problem with over heating (he$l i hardly get as far as loww low end of normal )but was wondering if it would free up a horse or two with out the engine trying to turn the fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode