found a vac leak, what is this thing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

found a vac leak, what is this thing?

i thought my engine vac was 6" but apparently that was just because the A/C controls line i tapped into has a problem. it's the one that has a T.. one line goes to the T from the manifold, then one goes out to the A/C controls, but then there's another one that goes to a little box on the side of the evap (?) housing. i believe it's the controller for the floor/vent-defroster but i'm not sure... what is that thing? it wont hold vacuum at all so i just plugged its line til i replace it, but i cant even really see how to do that. engine vac is 21" at idle and 25 at 3k, so that looks good, but this was at idle so i dont know if the EGR or thermactor solenoids were kicked in yet... i KNOW their lines are all FUBAR. i was thinking about vac leaks and what-not.... does a vac leak cause the engine to run lean? it seems like it would sorta bypass the butterflies and give it more air than it needs, but is that really the case? those lines arent very big though so it doesnt seem like it would be too noticable. my friend just got a 93 f150 and you can hear his vacuum bleed off when he turns the engine off... i want mine to do that again like it used to [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: found a vac leak, what is this thing?

It is a vacuum canister IF you are talking about this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850859-vac.jpg (21.5 KB, 5 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

yep, that's what i'm talking about.... what does it do? my vent/defrost selector now works... but if that thing doesnt control the floor door then i bet it works now too [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:24 PM

it's a vacuum resevoir. It just stores the vacuum so all the accessories will function normally under conditions where there is little vacuum, like hard accelleration.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

isnt that what the coffee can is for? so it's just a box with a fitting on it, that simple? i noticed some sealant around it where it connects to the evap housing, could it be leaking there or is it fully internally sealed. i'll pull it off tomorrow and see where it's leaking... and cut it open if it has any kinda neat gizmos inside of it [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode