C-6 trans problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

C-6 trans problem

I have a lifted 89 bronco, i changed the rear end ratio from 3.08 to 3.73. Sometimes, after i drive for a while, the trans downshifts into second on coast. if i hit the gas when it is in second, it shifts back to third. it only seems to do this after about 10 miles or so of driving. I changed the fluid and the modulator, and it didn't help. Also, what is that black or gray sludge stuff in the bottom of the pan? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: C-6 trans problem

The black or gray sludge you refer to is band material from the clutch bands. Did you change the filter when you changed the fluid? A clogged filter will sometimes cause problem with shifting on a auto trans.

Mudd

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]If it's stuck, force it! If it break's,it needed replacing anyway!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i changed the fluid and the filter about 8 months ago, and i only did it again yesterday'cause my pan was leaking, but do you think i'd need to get it flushed to fix the problem, or is it an expensive fix(like something mechanical would be causing this) my other bronco(88) has the black/gray on the dipstick too, but no shift problem. is there anything i can do short of a rebuild to fix the shifting? thanks,
bry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check the vacum line. It sounds to me that it may be leaking. It should be connected to a port that gets manifold vacum. Without vacum the trans will not shift into third gear.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
DaveC
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Possible that you have a vacuum leak some wear or a loose line. If your line has a connector (like a T or Y in it) check for cracks there as well. I had a tree where mine connected to the manifold that cracked where it cound not be seen and it would not let the truck shift until the rpm's were very high.

Hope this helps

Mudd

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]If it's stuck, force it! If it break's,it needed replacing anyway!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys for the help, i'll check it out. Also, is it possible that the change in rear axle ratio could cause this?? i mean, it operates normal(i know cause my 88 bronco is the exact same as this one)except the change in the rear end except sometimes it downshifts to second at higher speeds when it should be coasting, such as down a hill, or plain coast i'm thinking it could be running too hot, cause it is intermittent, and if the clutches and bands were the prob, i think it would consistantly happen, which it isn't. could this have anything to do with cooling? i don't have a shroud, but im thinking about electric fans and a tranny cooler. has anyone put an electric fan in?? if so, which type is the best? thanks again,
Bry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode