Light pull to left - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Light pull to left

My 95 XLT 5.8 has developed a light pull to left. Has been aligned three times.
Running 33 X 12.5 15" BF Goodrich tires. Any hints?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Light pull to left

First off... doesn't matter if you have had it 3 times.. because you could of had 3 idiots do it..... When aligning the TTB front ends. Make sure you bushings are good! axle pivot and your radius are bushings... secondly... you MAY need a DEGREED shim for your Ball Joints.. any GOOD alignment shop will tell you that! and install them for $50 for both of them.. they run about $20 each. I had a truck done 2 times.. both different places... I finally took it to a Ford Fleet truck garage... guy told me right away without even putting the truck up it needed shims..

What size tire are you running ? It could ALSO be your tires.... try putting the rears on the front and vice-versa..

G/L

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Steve. I had the same thing on my 90. It pulled left for two reasons. First was when I braked. That turned out to be the slider pins for the front calipers. Second was when driving, but I also had a ton of wander. I would be able to turn the wheel from 10 to 2 without any significant input to the steering gear, and it mostly drifted to the left. Poly-bushings for the radius arms, and axle pivots, combined with a good alignment shop cured that. The second problem plagued me for the last 7 years. It wasn't until I went to a good alignment shop that the problem was fixed. ANY time you get an alignment on a Bronco, the camber plugs need to be changed. If the caster is off between sides, you'll get the drift to either side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:33 PM

I agree with the other posts. There are some real idiots doing alignmemts these days. Many of them probably don't know Caster from Camber. Anyways, one way to eliminate the tires from the equation is to swap from one side to the other. If no effect is noted, then you know that Steering Geometry is the issue. Adjusting Caster and Camber on Broncos is not easy: it requires that the Ball Joint Inserts be changed to ones with different angular orientations (compared to the ones you already have). With this design, Caster and Camber are changed simultaneously. Thus, getting an equal amount of both angles on each front wheel can be difficult (if not impossible). Therefore, the alignment may have to be done with some trade-offs. I recommend that you find a place that specializes in alignments (don't go to a tire store). Shops that specialize in alignments can probably teach you all about the problem with your truck's steering geometry. I would only go to a tire shop for a Toe Alignment, leave Caster/Camber adjustments to the experts. Good luck.

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another vote for going to a good alignment shop after replacing the bushings with poly bushings. First time I went the tech was not able to get the caster camber correct -- he told me I needed the inserts but he was unable to locate them in time as I needed the bronc back that day. I took it back a week later after he got the inserts and and he made it perfect.

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
http://www.jps.net/~khoover88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode