Rancho 4" lift '91 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rancho 4\" lift \'91

I am about to recieve a 4" kit from Rancho. This is the suspension lift with coils, shocks, add-a-leaf, etc..... MY question is: Do I need any other parts? I see alot of statemetns concerning new tie rods and pitman arms. I am under the impession that I will NOT need an extended pitman arm...right? This will be my first lift ever performed, though I will have some help form a good friend of mine who has done a couple lifts, but those were done on his Toyota's, ( which I am proud to say that I have had to yank him out of trouble 3 times, even without a lift on my rig. haha )
But seriously, I would like to know of any gotchas before they gettme! Anyone have any pointers?
I will also look into the archives, but wanted to ask first hand.
I will have pics up soon, but my project is not quite finished.

Thanks all,
Scott Slaight
1991 XLT 351 5.8 'All STEEL' E4OD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2000, 06:10 PM

Yo

You most likely will want a new pitman arm, but probably don't need one. I know a dropped pitman arm is required on a 6" inch lift, not sure about 4".

As far as lifting your truck, everything will definetly not go as planned. You should read my post about my Superlift 6" inch lift, that I am still installing[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (mainly because lack of time and mixup on the parts). Anyways, I am sure Rancho makes better instructions and their parts are better made (wish they made a 6"). My cousin-in-law has a friend who makes the parts for Rancho, under the company name Tenneco. If he is anything like my cousin, Tenneco knows what they are doing, unlike the retards from Superlift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 04:38 PM

Re: Rancho 4\" lift \'91

I did a 4 inch lift in my truck and used the drop pitman arm. The alignment guy was suprised that the lift did not alter the steering geometry. another thing you might want to have on hand is a new set of u bolts for the rear. they have a tendancy to snap when removing. I guess the drop pitman could only help I think its worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 11:02 AM

You definitely need the drop pitman arm: in order to help maintain proper steering geometry. Without it, you will experience bumpsteer. The U-Bolts will be trashed so you definitely want to replace those too. Don't forget about shocks (RS900s are really nice) and brake lines and Stabliizer Bar Drop Brackets. If I were you, I would ask Rancho what items are optional. You will probably want just about every optional item. Good Luck!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks to all for your input. I just put the lift on over this holiday weekend. Took close to 5 days! I was really upset when when I noticed I had about 15-20 rivets to drill out. That took the most time. The lift looks great and I hope to get out next weekend to try it out. I do need an alignment, real bad, as the camber adjustment is WAY out and my front tires are riding on about 2 inches on its outer side.
One thing is for sure, I will never ever do this again. Next time it will be sent to the shop for them to handle.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 05:33 PM

Guess it depends on the person. My lift took much longer to put on do to wrong parts being sent to me, but I had a blast putting it on! I am ready to put on my next lift kit. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got back from the alignment shop. Grrrr..... These guys are the best in town and come highly recommnded, but, my camber is way off. They put in a 2 degree camber bushing and it still won't come out straight which is affecting my caster which is not perfect either because of the camber being set to the most it can be set. (Did that make sense? ). Can someone tell me if the coils will settle down after a while so I can get my tires back on the road flat...OR will I need to look into getting another drop down bracket for the TTB that drops further?

I am not fully educated on the alignment process but I can see (visually) what needs to take place. Either the coil spring has to be shorter, or a longer drop down bracket to fix the problem.

Thanks for any advise.

Scott

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 06:52 PM
mudmonger

Scott,
I have some questions of my own for you if you don't mind. Do you know what your wheel width and backspacing are?-this can affect camber. Do you know the condition of the radius arm or axle pivot bushings?-bad pivot bushings can make it nearly impossible to properly align this front end. Last question-did you contact Rancho to find out what to do or if you can use more than a 2 degree camber bushing? One thing worth noting is that Tough Country makes drop down pivot brackets with camber adjusters built in-4 and 6 inch hieght. Another suggestion would be to find a 4wd only shop that specializes in larger rig's needs and get a second opinion-you may find out the first place owes you a refund. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1. I am not too sure of the wheel width, but I think they are about 10 inches. I do know these are stock rims.
2. What is backspacing? And how do I determine that? ( I do have the printout of the final report from the alignment, if it would be on there.)
3. I have new radius arms. I relocated the radius arm bracket to accomodate the longer arms. I have installed new bushings along with. They are not Ford bushings, but Energy bushings. ( Big difference? )
4. I have yet to call Rancho.

Thanks,
Scott

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 06:26 PM
mudmonger

If you are using stock rims this may be part of the problem. As far as I know Ford did not put any wheels on this year of vehicle over 8 inches wide and would have the backspacin nearly centered. You can measure the wheel width by sliding a ruler through one of the slots and kind of eyeballing it from there. The backspacing is the depth of the backside of the wheel. This can be measured by laying something straight across the backedge of the wheel's outer lip and measuring in to the flat center where it bolts to the hub. Less backspacing would put the tire further from the vehicle which would affect the camber in a good way for your needs. The bushings you used are very durable and for on road control are a better replacement than stock Ford bushings. Try calling a couple of different alignment shops and ask if there is a higher degree of camber bushing available-you may need this. If you can find a nearby 4wd shop give them a call and you will probably find out that they have installed this kit before and may also have more answers for you than we can give you on this board. Good luck to you. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode