4 " Skyjacker Series II Lift / new Driveshafts?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 \" Skyjacker Series II Lift / new Driveshafts??

Hi All, I have a 1984 Bronco XLT, which is getting a 460 soon... and I know for sure that my NP-208 won't last long so I already have a NP-205 to drop in once and if it goes... So once the NP-205 goes in I will need new drive shafts. The NP-208/C-6 Combination I have now has an 5 inch spacing between the Tranny and xfer case ( some had a 8.5 inch). So I know for a fact that this will bring the NP-205 close to the front axle and farther away from the rear.
So I know I will need new driveshafts just to swap in the NP-205.

I also want to Lift the truck next summer with a 4" Skyjacker Series II System (new rear springs - no stupid blocks).

My question is.. will I have to replace the driveshafts again once I lift it ??

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4 \" Skyjacker Series II Lift / new Driveshafts??

I'm not sure that you have to replace the driveshafts for the 205 swap. I used driveshafts from an '81 Bronco on a '79 205 case. All that I had to do was replace the u-joints, because the newer u-joints from the '81 had different size bearing cups to mate to the 208, after replacement, all of the bearing cups were now the same size(like they used an old model driveshaft and adapted it to the 208 from the factory). Of course I had to lengthen mine because of application (12" lift), but from the same chassis I'm not sure, unless you are moving the case fwd or aft. also I don't think that driveshafts need to be replaced with a 4" lift. Maybe somebody else here can help fill in the gaps.
PJL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 06:57 PM

6\" ?????

I'm almost positive you won't need new driveshafts. Some guy asked the exact same question in the new Four Wheeler. I am lifting mine 6", and I mine will be questionable??? Anybody know about a 6"??? After I am done lifting mine, I will be sure to post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 6\" ?????

I installed a 6" Explorer Pro-Comp stage 2 kit and so far so good. Didn't have to change shafts and I have done quite a bit of experimenting with it off road. The shaft has more than enough play, it doesn't over extend or compress. Other 4x4 buffs have told me that if I went with anyting over 8"s I would have to had used different shafts.

Later,
Bravoman

What the hell, go for broke or my case broken!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2000, 09:59 PM

Help Please

How about your front drive shaft? I think, I am going to have problems with mine. I don't have coil or shocks on right now, but I do have my radius arms, axle halves, and front drive shaft connected. When I let my suspension extend, my front drive shaft hits the transmission crossmember. There doesn't seem to be much clearance when the axle havles are level. Are the transmission crossmembers located differently depending on the transmission? Because I have a M-50D which is somewhat rare transmission in a Bronco.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2000, 07:34 AM
mudmonger

Re: Help Please

To Steve: were the 351M or 400 available in 84? I don't know for sure, but, if they weren't won't this make the engine's location different enough to force a change of transmission crossmember or modify the existing one which will probably move the tranny back any ways(maybe it will take up the 5 inch slack). These are just my wonderings. To Shovel: My Procomp Stage II is on an 89 F-150 with the M5OD tranny (second one) and I thought the clearance was a little close too. So far I havn't hit during normal operation or even at full droop when jumping, but, when I back up in 4WD in a situation that requires a does of torque (like I'm stuck) I have heard it wack the cross member. For some reason the Ford bushing on the tranny combined with motor mounts allows this to happen and I have been told I could fashion some sort of brace for the t-case so it could not flex as much and let this happen. I also believe part of this is related to rear axle wrap-the axle wraps and unloads it's force into the drive train-this is how stuff breaks-now on my second set of 4.56 gears in rear end due to the pinion shedding two and half teeth. Blah, Blah, Blah-sumpthin, sumpthin, sumpthin--whoaaa!!! Lost my mind again. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2000, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Mud: The 351M/400 were NOT Available in 1984. L&L Makes motor mounts to drop the 460 right in using existing tranny mounts, the 460 is only 3 inches longer than my 351W which is being removed. The Transmission cross member should not need to be moved. I will definately let you guys know how everything comes out once I drop my 460 in... The engine is in the shop right now.. and should be done in a couple of weeks.

Yhe

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have nothing to worry about as far as the front shaft goes. When I did my lift I thought the same thing, but when it's done you'll see that theres enough clearence and the pumpkin doesnt travel up or down much because it's located where it pivots so there's no chance of the shaft hitting the cross-member.

Later,
Bravoman

What the hell, go for broke or my case broken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode