Newbie Bronco Questions Old vs. Newer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie Bronco Questions Old vs. Newer

What is the real differences between the original Vintage Bronco and the Full Size version??? I'd like to do a build up on a old Bronco but don't know if it will sit 5 people. I also see an overlap of Bronco's from 1973-1977. What happened in those years?? Did they make two types?? Just curious if I should off-road the 1990 or wait and build an older one for fun and use the 1990 to tow.

Thanks,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Newbie Bronco Questions Old vs. Newer

Well to me owning an 85 xlt i love it but of course there are all those jeeps out there and in reality the smaller u are the easier time u can have in trails and in the rocks. The old broncs were about as tough as they come stock. Coiuple that with their v8 motors and they are bonified jeep killers. But having already bought mine i can tgo back on it now so i will use what i have the best way i can. Overall, id say let the big boy tow and the little hell raiser do the wheelin if money is no object!

Mooseykat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bryan,

The real difference between the "Early bronco" to 77 and the Fullsize bronco 78-95 is the width and the wheelbase. I think the wheelbase on the EB is around 96 where fullsize are around 104. Fullsize broncos are alot wider than EBs. Each year they bronco became more "plush" and in some years, less capable, but from 78 and on the bronco was based on the F150 chassis with a 104 inch wheelbase.

checkout www.bronco.com for history of the EBs. hunt around and you will find history of the fullsize as well.

Looking at your sig, I'd tow the TJ with Bronco and put my disposable income into the TJ and just keep the bronco for a tow rig and a comfortable cruiser.

anyway, If I were to build a bronco, it would be and EB not a fullsize. I just can't fit the FSB on trails where an EB or a TJ can go without alot of body damage. I did this with my 78 Fullsize. It never saw the rubicon, but it sure looked like it had. I see guys building up FSBs and when they rock crawl, they have bashed in doors and quarterpanels on trails where narrow and short rigs just get scratches on the skidplates. If the 90 is in good condition, I'd keep it a street rig and build something else.

But, if you are into fast trail running, or deep mud and wide open spaces, and don't care about tight twisty narrow rock crawling trails, put a 6 inch lift under that 90 and some big fat mudders and enjoy.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
http://www.jps.net/~khoover88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. The TJ is already built, locked, and beefed. We do use it for 50/50 on/off road. The only problem I have is that I got three kids and the Jeep only has 4 seat belts so when I off-road it's just me and my girlfriend. I was looking for a way to include everyone. Sounds like the Early Bronco is not far from a CJ-7 so I'll just build that up and take two vehicles. I like the Bronco's but I know the Jeeps better and have the parts now. The 1990 Bronco has been a blast, got 6,000 miles on it in 5 weeks. I'll probably do a light build up on it anyway and take it on the stocker runs. Pull the running boards / replace with nerfs and upgrade to 32" AT's.

Thanks,

Bryan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't pickup on the 5 passenger need... Hard to find a good trail rig that sits three in the back.

As far as building a CJ vs an EB, go with what you know. If it were me, I'd build the EB because I have had fords for over 20 years and know them in and out.

As far as your mild buildup the the 90 FSB, Heres some food for thought:

In the rear there are no "Oh My God" handles. Nothing at all to hang onto other than the front seat backs. I don't usually have a rear passenger, but a friend rode in back of anothers fullsize Bronc over some wild bumps and ended up with a shiner when his head smacked the side window cuz he had nothing to hold onto. He had a sealt belt on. After that he got in the back of a 4runner

The rear bumper is also an upgrade item. The stock bumper hangs low and bends up at the corners easily when you drag it on rocks. After its bent up, the tailgate will hit it when opened...

I'd upgrade the front hub locking mechanism with a set of warn premium stainless steel ones. Good time to go through the front hubs and replace bearings and seals. This gets expensive when not maintained.

I'd add an oversize tranny cooler with the E4OD, esp if you plan to tow. I'd stay on top of the fliud changes in the tranny and perhaps go with a syntetic. Search the archives for E4OD for more tips. (I don't know firsthand cuz I have a C6)

Note there are no good front tow points. On the rear I use the frame mounted receiver hitch.

The factory jack sux, and there are few places to lift with a highlift. different bumpers would fix this.

There are no tie downs in the rear cargo area.

But, for a stock rig, I love my Bronco. I wish I could keep mine and afford another rig

Cheers,

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
http://www.jps.net/~khoover88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 07:06 PM

Tally One Up For The BIGBRONCO

I would build a BigBronco up, because you already have a TJ that covers all the small trails. I love my 1990 Bronco. There aren't very many trucks that can fit 5 comfortably, have good street manners, and can wheel at the same time. I'm sure a EB would be better on the tight trails, but that is what you got the TJ for. If you do consider a LMB, get one with a 5.8 and E40D (Powerstroke diesel would be even better [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2000, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tally One Up For The BIGBRONCO

I do have a 1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco, E40D, 5.8l. I have 3 car payments now and all will be gone in less than two years. This will let me afford about $850 or so a month for either a Crewcab Diesel F250 or Excursion. I'd rather have the truck from hell but the smaller size of the Excursion appeals to me too???? I might also wait an extra year and spend the $850/month on CJ-7, Bronco build-up's. The TJ was complete but Warn has a new 5" kit to replace my 3" kit. I might start over again with 4.56 gears, 36" tires, etc.. on the TJ.

Now for an E4OD question, Do I tow in overdrive or not. The book says yes to OD towing. I do have the extra huge cooler and will be swapping the tranny fluids for synthetic's. Mobil-1's was my 1st mods, then cap, roter, plugs, wires, filters, etc. followed the next day. I think I got about 70HP from it. Exhaust is next as I'm sure it's dry rotted or has clogged cats. The filter's were the worst I ever saw, coal black from end to end with a light brown oil tint near the air pickup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode