Off Roading Forums banner

Warn hub question on 83

571 views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I had a problem with the factory hubs engaging on my son's $400 Bronco. So being the nice dad that I am we went out and bought a set of Warn Hubs (not the premium ones). Okay......after figuring out that the Haynes manual didn't really show what we needed to know .......wipin' some grease off of here and there...we got the old two tang and spring thingie out after finding the outer retaining ring and after removing the axle snap ring.......no problem. Heck we even bought the socket to take off the wheel bearing nut(s).

Okay....here's the problem. When we put the Warn hub on everything works well.......except that we can't get the hub to recess far enough to put the axle snap ring on. To look at the set up it doesn't seem like it would be necessary.......the axle "floats" a little but not enough to ever leave the splines......the retaining ring holds the hub so I don't see how it can damage anything. Has anyone else encountered this.....and how did you remedy it? The only thing that I see could be done is to remove...repack and retighten the wheel bearings......but there is NO problem with the wheel bearings and there was nothing done to them between the removal of the old hubs and the installation of the Warn hubs.

Any thoughts?

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
If it was a solid axle up front I would say you could leave it off. I have done it both ways over the years. With the independant front axle though I would get it back on. Try prying the axle out a little from the knuckle with a screwdriver while pushing the inner part of the hub on. Should hav just enough room to get it on.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! A friend told me he couldn't get his on either. I didn't consider that his was a solid axle. I hate having left over parts in a "new" situation like this. I'm not new to a wrench but this is the first time I've tackled a 4WD wheel/hub assembly. The learning curve is not all that bad (just expensive) especially with help like this available (you gotta love the information age!) I'll try as you suggested. My son was already pushing the axle from the back while I was pushing the hub in......but I'll try with a little more "ummph" this time on both our parts.

Thanks agian!

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G
#4 ·
I had similar trouble

When I replaced my wheel bearings on my 88, I had trouble getting everything back together too.. I don't remember the details, but I eventually got it. I didn't even replace the hubs or anything either.

Persistance either pays.... or just !@#%$es you off even more!

G
#5 ·
Me 2

I had the same problem on both my 78 (solid axle) and my 88 InferiorFrontSuspension. I did the screwdriver trickon both to pull the axle stub out enough to get the small C-clip on.

ps: My dad sprung for a junkyard tranny($100) when I was 16 on my 500 dollar pile o Junk and even helped me put it in. Don't recall if I thanked him properly or not (I was a 16 year old know it all...) but I remember it today. Good job!

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Looking for a new trail rig...

G
#6 ·
I just did a conversion on my 96 last week, i ran into the same problem with the snap ring. All i did was take a crow bar and pry on the u-bolts in the knuckle and the axle came right out about another 1/4", enough to get the ring on, good luck

G
#7 ·
One other way to do it is to open the center chunk cover and insert a screw driver in behind the axle end and pry it so the axle pushes out enough for you to get the snap ring on. This also gives you a chance to see if there is any problems in the center section, plus change the fluid, because it most likely has been over due for a change.

Technoman '91 5.0 SAE Bronco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.