New "to me" Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New \"to me\" Bronco

I just purchased a new to me 1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer and had a few questions about it. I'm going to use it as a Jeep tow rig, daily driver. So far in the past four weeks I've put close to 5K on it so it will be driven a lot. It has the 5.8l engine and E4OD tranny with all the towing goodies. How reliable is the E4OD tranny??? Also how tough is it to swap to manual locking hubs from the auto's?? I do have the pull lever and not the button on the dash.

Thanks,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New \"to me\" Bronco

Hubs VERY Easy to change over.. you need a converision kit ( new spindle nuts ) and some new manual hubs.. I swapped the auto-crap hubs out of my '84 XLT in 45 minutes complete.. I went with the WARN premuim hubs and conversion kit. $120 for all... good deal.. you'll need a hub socket wrench too.. I advise you to buy one.. pretty cheap $20 bucks or so if I remember correctly

Just remember.. when you order hubs, tell them you need a conversion kit too...

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will agree with Uzi on the WARN conversion kit and hubs. I run them on my '91 SAE Bronco and have never had problems.

As for the reliability of the E4OD - I replaced mine with 150,000 miles on it. Cost about 1500.00 for a rebuilt one from Advance Auto Parts (15,000/15mnth warrantee). Other than that you can get a bullet proof one from Jet Performance for about $3000.00. That is with the torque converter. It is made of all new material and Jet has worked out all the Ford flaws (that Ford never has corrected).

If I had the money at the time I would have gotten one, but I needed one then and had to do with what I could afford.

So, do what you have to now and save the time and money having to do it later!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another nod for the warn premium hubs. lifetime warranty and an easy mod.

as far as the E40D, I can't say. I've got a C6. Ild put in a bigger tranny cooler maybe assisted by an elec fan if you plan to work it really hard. Maybe better transmission fluid too.

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Looking for a new trail rig...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode