Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   New "to me" Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/10910-new-%22-me%22-bronco.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 05-16-2000 04:25 PM

New \"to me\" Bronco

I just purchased a new to me 1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer and had a few questions about it. I'm going to use it as a Jeep tow rig, daily driver. So far in the past four weeks I've put close to 5K on it so it will be driven a lot. It has the 5.8l engine and E4OD tranny with all the towing goodies. How reliable is the E4OD tranny??? Also how tough is it to swap to manual locking hubs from the auto's?? I do have the pull lever and not the button on the dash.

Thanks,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco

**DONOTDELETE** 05-16-2000 09:50 PM

Re: New \"to me\" Bronco

Hubs VERY Easy to change over.. you need a converision kit ( new spindle nuts ) and some new manual hubs.. I swapped the auto-crap hubs out of my '84 XLT in 45 minutes complete.. I went with the WARN premuim hubs and conversion kit. $120 for all... good deal.. you'll need a hub socket wrench too.. I advise you to buy one.. pretty cheap $20 bucks or so if I remember correctly

Just remember.. when you order hubs, tell them you need a conversion kit too...

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks

**DONOTDELETE** 05-16-2000 11:32 PM

I will agree with Uzi on the WARN conversion kit and hubs. I run them on my '91 SAE Bronco and have never had problems.

As for the reliability of the E4OD - I replaced mine with 150,000 miles on it. Cost about 1500.00 for a rebuilt one from Advance Auto Parts (15,000/15mnth warrantee). Other than that you can get a bullet proof one from Jet Performance for about $3000.00. That is with the torque converter. It is made of all new material and Jet has worked out all the Ford flaws (that Ford never has corrected).

If I had the money at the time I would have gotten one, but I needed one then and had to do with what I could afford.

So, do what you have to now and save the time and money having to do it later!

**DONOTDELETE** 05-17-2000 12:48 AM

Another nod for the warn premium hubs. lifetime warranty and an easy mod.

as far as the E40D, I can't say. I've got a C6. Ild put in a bigger tranny cooler maybe assisted by an elec fan if you plan to work it really hard. Maybe better transmission fluid too.

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Looking for a new trail rig...