86 Bronco II 2.9L Performace mods - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 Bronco II 2.9L Performace mods

My name's Bart and I brought an 86 Bronco II 4W with a 2.9l in it. I've installed smittybilt nerf bars, and a K&N filter (plus tuneup parts, etc) but I want to squeeze out a little more power. I've just worked out the last few bugs with it recently and took it offroading twice now. Any ideas on more power?

Thanks for the hints

lunchbucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 12:01 AM

514 Crate

A 514 crate motor should do it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 86 Bronco II 2.9L Performace mods

I have done similar minor performance upgrades to my bronco 2 but i haven't really seen any difference. headers and performance exhaust are always a good way to cram more power but they are a little more complicated than changing the air filter.
I was also wondering if you had any problems with the truck at idle speed or problems with the fuel injectors
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard that dual exhaust works great using the stock cast iron manifolds. There should also be a conga line of cats that can be replaced with a single free flow unit. That's about it. The rest is worthless for the cost. Electric fans, Jacob's/MSD spark, racing stripes. A tune up could help depending on how good it is running. The expensive way to go is a mild 302. Almost forgot, I ran 4.10 gears in my Ranger stock (LT235/75r15's). A lot of people like that also. No extra power but it feels like it as your axle torque multiplication is stronger. I liked the engine as it was bomb proof. The trannies sucked bad. I also didn't like the Dana-27 up front. You might be able to do an upgrade to the front axles on the 4.0 Rangers.

Take Care,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost forgot. the 4.0l is supposed to be the 2.9l bored and stroked or something. The block is supposed to be about the same. You might want to look into a used 4.0l swap. These engines have a few toys including superchargers. I think they may have done a nitrous kit for the 2.9l, I know they do for the 4.0l. The ignition is different and I'm sure all the computer stuff will need to be grabbed also.

Take Care,

Bryan

82 CJ-7, 97 TJ Sport, 90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode