Steering Noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Noises

Hey All,
Got some strange creaking and popping noises when I steer at slow speeds. Like when going up a mountain switchback.I can sit still and make the noise happen by turning thr steering wheel back and forth. Anyone heard of this before? Got any Ideas about what to check?
Thanks
Jim
94 Bronco 302 E4OD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Noises

You should have somebody turn the steering wheel while you are down there looking and listening. You should be able to isolate where the sound is coming from, or maybe the problem will just show itself to you. Let us know what you find.
PJL
P.S. Don't forget to be safe, chock wheels etc.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got down underneath while someone else turned the wheel back and forth. I could not isolate where the sound was coming from. Seemed equally loud at the power steering pump as it did from the linkage. (sorry i dont really know what all the steering componants are called. but i was by the front wheel on the passenger side) I checked all the stuff that was obvious to a green horn like me and came up with nothing. I lubed all the joints and still sounds the same. The problem seems intermittant so I hate to pay a shop to tell me they cant find it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some Broncos have a problem with loosely fitting cross members, and radius arm brackets. Check underneath and make sure that any members are bolted tight, and also check your radius arm bracket rivets. Some rivets were too small for the holes they were installed in. Ford has a TSB on this very problem.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 08:21 PM

Sometimes the easiest problems are the hardest to solve. It is probably not your hubs, but I would check to see if they are locked in. I drove around town on a tank of gas, and my frontend would make a sound every sharp turn I took. Took me a while to figure out someone had messed with my hubs and locked them in. Just a thought, good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are 2 problems here, 1 of witch was mentioned, the rivits holding the cossmember under the engine to the frame comes loose, this is called the "Huck Rivit" there is a TSB on this to replace this rivit with a Bolt.
Most of the trucks/broncos I have ever fixed, this was not the problem.
The second and most likly source of the noise, is the Trans crossmember. Lossen the bolts that hold the crossmember and try to reproduce the noise. if it fixes it then apply some antisieze between the frame and crossmember and only tighten the bolts snug, not Superman tight.
Let me know what you find.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also check for play is the tire, jack it up and try to wiggle it...could be loose bearings or ball joints...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guys are a great resource and thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably not have time to look at it untill this weekend. I'll post back and let y'all know what I find.
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode