Still more problems... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still more problems...

88 XLT 302 5.0 EFI

I've still been having problems with power. I have a serious lag in performance and mpg(i'm only getting 6-8). I had the exhaust system replace, so i know that's not it. I've replaced plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor(basic stuff). I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I do what I can.

Also, I found a light blue wire which runs from my gas tank to my engine, and connects to nothing. Any clues on this?

One last thing...the vacuum chamber(or as i've seen, "the black coffee can") on the left side of the engine has a broken hose(broke it replacing the plugs, pretty damn brittle if i say so myself). How do I replace this, and how much on average?

Thanx for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 10:01 PM

Re: Still more problems...

I would recommend checking the Fuel Pressure. Excessively high Fuel Pressure would result from a malfunctioning Fuel Pressure Regulator, causing terrible Fuel Economy and Stinky Exhaust. Just a thought. Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First the easy one, the vac hose you broke, fix it with windshield washer hose (very small vac line), works great.
I agree with the last poster, check your fuel pressure, also check spark , a weak spark will cause lack of power and excessive fuel consumption. Did you have your catilitic converter replaced?
Few more items to check is to check is compression, timing, vaccume leaks (5.0 have bad problems with upper plemun gasket vaccume leaks), Check your PCM for any DTC's(Diag Trouble Codes), MAP sensor problem, Trannie problem (auto), clutch problem (man). this is all a good place to start.
As for the blue wire, ????? poss trailer brake controller wire fromt previous owner???
Hope this helps, for starters at least.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for the help...I did discover(from the help of a couple of friends) that my ignition timing, was infact, off. I'm having that done in the next couple of days(busy and all).

No, I did not have the catalytic converter replaced...but will in the future if it causes problems.

As for everything from upper plemun gasket vacuum leaks to MAP sensor problems...i'm lost(I said I was mechanically inclined), but I don't believe I have trannie problems...

As for the blue wire...it doesn't run to the rear, but to the gas tank itself.

Thanx for the help...looks like i'm gonna read my Haynes manual cover to cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode