Smog legal 4BBL for 302 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Smog legal 4BBL for 302

I just got a rebuilt 302 for my 84 XLT. It seems like the stock 2 BBL is too small...the engine seems to want more fuel. Any reccomendations for a smog legal carb? It's mostly a street vehicle..I think maybe 500-625 CFM's would be sufficient. Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Also, I was thinking of rebuilding my C6 3 speed. About how much would it cost? What is the deal with the "upshift improvers" (i.e B&M)? Are they helpful.

Finally, I was thinking of getting a posi-trac/limited slip diff. for the rearend. Are those hard to find?

I apologize for the barrage of questions. I've been restoring my Bronco for about a year and just discovered this BB. I hope to become a active member of this BB in the future. Hopefully you won't get sick of my constant questions!!

California knows how to party
Dr. Dre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try this

Ford used a holley model 4180C 4 barrel carburator for the 1983 to 85 Mustang GT. The 85 model is supposed to have the most aggressive jetting and is fully emissions legal.

UFO's and big rigs, They come from outer space
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Smog legal 4BBL for 302

Your choiced in carb size sounds reasonable. Most guys make the mistake of going too big for bragging rights, and end up with flat spots when they accelerate from too much fuel getting dumped. The Mustang post seems to be a good idea.
The shift improvers are used to modify the valve body in your trans. The improvement comes from a more positive shift (read a harder shift). Here again is another fine line. A harder shift is better for the life of your clutches. If you go too aggressive, you run the risk of prematurley wearing your servos due to the teeth getting slammed into each other. If you decide to go with an improver, use the "towing/RV" setting that most have.
Limited slips for the rear are quite common. I'm surprised that you do not have it in your vehicle from the factory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode