mysterious EEC-IV codes..can somebody decipher - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

mysterious EEC-IV codes..can somebody decipher

I've been getting intermittent check engine lights on my 93, so i did the little self-test and this is what came up.
number - what i believe it to be
111 - system OK (current state, not memory)
17 - ?
23 - TP sensor out of range
32 - EVP voltage below closed limit
54 - ACT sensor circuit open
26 - VAF/MAF out of self test range OR TOT out of self-test range
28 - loss of IDM right side

Can somebody tell me what 17 is, and what that loss of IDM on 28 is? I know what the maf, act, tp, and evp stuff is, it's in the haynes manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: mysterious EEC-IV codes..can somebody decipher

Correct me if i'm wrong (been awhile since I'v done Drive concerns) but yours being a 93 should have 3 digit codes not 2 digit, in that case the 17 would become a 172, or oxy sensor problem. Right??? I check it out for sure.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats right, from 91 on they started using 3 digit codes.

Roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 07:37 AM
dawgghanson

yo..here is a www site for eec-iv codes:
http://dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

111 System checks OK

here is what is listed for oxy sensors there...
171 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was at adaptive limits - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

173 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was rich - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

174 (M) Oxygen sensor was slow in switching Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

175 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was at adaptive limits - Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

176 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

177 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was rich Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

178 (M) Oxygen sensor was slow in switching Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

is this correct? I never did this test yet on my 96 bronco 5.0

good luck,
Al

Al
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before you go buy all those parts read this

I am assuming you used one of those code scanners that beeps at you, an analog volt meter, or the jumper wire that makes the MIL or Check engine light flash. Beware of these methods as yours is a 93 and only has 3 digit codes, thus you will not have any 2 digit codes. The best way to read codes is to buy or borrow a code scanner with a digital read out. The correct codes might be:

111-System pass
Meaning the EEC processor itself has no internal faults

172-Lack of oxygen sensor (HEGO) switches indicates lean on bank 1
Meaning the oxygen sensor is not responding to changes in fuel mixture
Remedy-Most likely a bad oxygen sensor but possibly caused by another problem

332-Insufficient EGR flow detected
Meaning the processor is not seeing a sufficient change in the EVP (ERG valve position sensor) when EGR is applied
Remedy-Either bad EGR valve, Bad EVP, Clogged EGR passage, bad vacuum line, or any combination of the four

542-Fuel pump secondary circuit failure
Meaning, the secondary fuel pump relay is not responding or the secondary fuel pump is bad
Remedy-Most likely replace the secondary fuel pump relay and if that does not repair problem then replace the pump.

628-Torque converter lock up solenoid failure(auto) or excessive clutch slippage (manual)
Meaning that the vehicle speed sensor is detecting a higher rpm than expected for vehicle speed.
Remedy-If it is an auto I believe the solenoid is in the trans-$$$ to replace. If it is a manual, then it is time for a clutch. If you have defeated the torque converter lock up on an auto then this is a normal code. It is of little immediate concern for the auto as the only damage it can do is to slightly reduce your fuel economy.

Hope this helps

UFO's and big rigs, They come from outer space
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Re: Before you go buy all those parts read this

I cleared out the codes and then drove until the light came on...numbers were 172 and some high number, so I put in a new oxy sensor. The light is now off and hasn't come back on in a week, so looks like that was tripping the other code somehow. Thanks for all the help guys!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2000, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Before you go buy all those parts read this

Man.......you've just gotta love the information age![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode