fuel filter connectors...what are these things? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins
muddybronco's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: woooooo pig sooooooie!
Posts: 6,842
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fuel filter connectors...what are these things?

I'm trying to change out my fuel filter on my 93 and can't tell how the connectors work. The fuel return line has a similar connection but has a clip on it, mine just has two bellshaped things that look like they'd slide off, but didn't when I tried. I looked in the haynes manual and it doesn't look like the 3 types in there...what's up?

muddybronco is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 02:02 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel filter connectors...what are these things?

I'm no big knower of Fords, but from my experience most of their fuel connections require a special tool that clamps over the line and when pushed into the fitting, releases the connection. I think they come in three different sizes. You should be able to get them at your local auto store. However, I've never worked on anything as new as '93(only '80s), but they probably are the same.
Good luck PJL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 02:53 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel filter connectors...what are these things?

My guess is that your fuel filter isn't any different than the one on my '91 SAE Bronco, and if that is so - you buy a new fuel filter and there will be directions on how to replace your old one.

Which consist of prying the old horseshoe clips out with a screw driver. Takes about 3 minutes to change out the fuel filter. But remember to releave your fuel pressure, or you will get misted with fuel when you go to disconnect the old filter.

'91 5.0 SAE Bronco

Sponsored Links
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 08:06 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel filter connectors...what are these things?

If the 93 is like the 94, using the Motorcraft FG-872 filter, then the connectors are "Push Connect" type. They have a metal safety clip, that you pull back part way. But sometimes people take the clips off all the way, and don't put them back on. The fitting requires a simple tool to release, as mentioned above, like the KD 3321 Quick Disconnect tool. Its metal, sort of like a scissors with pipe-like pieces on each end. Close it around the filter tube, then push it into the fitting to release the internal locking fingers, then pull on hose while pushing more on the tool. Should come off easy. Don't bother with the little plastic slip-on ring type tools, they won't fit in next to the filter. If instead it uses the FG-800A style filter, like used on lots of older Fords, then no tool is needed, just follow the directions that Technoman said.

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome