Help-What motor is this?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help-What motor is this??

What motor is this a picture of? It is from another country but it is a Ford. Anyone?? http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/fordmo.jpg
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help-What motor is this??

inline 6

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Besides the obvious.
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you sure its a Ford? That appears to be a Jeep body and it looks like a factory setup. I have never known Ford to build a straight 6 with cross fire induction like that. It is definately not the Ford 300 or 240. Judging by what the Ford 223 and 262 intake manifold setup is, I don't think it is any of those either. The intake/exhaust port alignment is not correct. I don't know of any other Ford straight 6's, but I haven't been around long enough to know what they did in the fifties and earlier. Are you sure it is not an old Jeep 258?

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I am actually trying to help a friend in Brazil. It is a Jeep but the motor is a Ford motor. I know Ford originally made the Jeep before Willys Overland bought them but I doubt that this goes back that far unless they used surplus motors of some sort. I think the Ford GPW (early Jeep/GPW=Jeep) had a weak old four cylinder though. It looks like some really old motor to me. It is a Jeep with a Ford motor. He doesn't know anything about it other than that it has a Ford motor in it and that is what Jeeps there had in them. What about a 232? 229 maybe? I know there were a couple of old Ford cars that had some weird I6s in them but I can't find any info on them. He needs some parts and doesn't know what to do and an engine swap is out of the question due to lack of swapable parts. Kinda strange that the plug wires are like aircraft plug wires in that they thread onto the ends of the plugs. I will email him and ask him tomorrow what year the Jeep is.
Thanks,
Aaron

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know anything about a 229 six, but the the 232 is an AMC/Jeep engine. The threaded plug wires are a military trick to help keep things tight and dry. Less problematic. Pontiac had a 230 six, but I doubt its that. Can you get a picture of the other side?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post this on the Jeep page as well. Maybe they will know right off.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here are two more pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/jeep-1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/jeep-2.jpg

Aaron

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know what motor it is. It would be a neet one to have, though. I'll pass the pictures around and see if anybody knows in my area.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 09:39 PM

This is a total guess. Ford was big in england at some point and powered a lot of industrial type machines. I think they go by the name new holland, I'm not sure. When I was in school for training we came across some wierd engines in the corner of the shop. One of the instructors said something to the effect that they were english versions of ford motors used for industrial applications. Maybe it is one of these engines?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode