Heater Core Replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heater Core Replacement

I have a 1987 Bronco with a carbed 351W.
I have been having problems with my heater core for a while. Now it looks like its a cross between a humidifier and a sprinkler sitting behind my dash. Anyway, I'm gonna replace it next Sunday and was just wondering if you guys had any tips for me as for how to remove and replace it. So far, all I have done is removed the door to the glove box (I don't need to remove the entire dash do I?), and removed the cover to the Heater Core. I have no idea what to expect for the rest of the project, so any tips will be of great service. I imagine that there would only be a line going into it, and a line going out of it, and a few screws holding the whole thing in place. When I disconect the lines, will there be antifreez pouring out all over the place?
Thanks for your time.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heater Core Replacement

Hey, My heater core is leaking pretty bad too. Someone on a bronco list told me that since its summer, you can get away with bypassing the heater core and fixing it later (unless you use the heater in the summer). I havent gotten a chance to look into doing this, but I might later if I'm too cheap to fix it.

Roland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heater Core Replacement

Its not that hard to replace, and from my experience, I would replace it now because for some strange reason prices on heater cores go up in the winter(For the same reason I had to pay $60 more for an A/C compressor in the summer then the winter!). When you disconnect the hoses anitfreeze will come out. Put a tarp or something in. The chiltons manual explaines the proccess fairly well.
good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is what you do.

What you have to do is remove the glove box door at the bottom hinge and remove the glove box itself. There are only four screws for that. This allows you to get to the upper two screws that hold on the heater core cover. The lower screws can be easily reached and are in plain sight. The cover will pop off and you will see the core. The hardest part is getting the old hoses off the inlet and outlet pipes under the hood. I suggest you take this time to replace the clamps and heater hoses. The dash does not need to be removed.

Good luck, Eric.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Here is what you do.

Thanks for the tips. I wasnt expecting to go under the hood, I thought it was all done from the inside, but then again, I'm clueless. By the way, I've been breathing these damn fumes for a while now. At times it would almost fill up the truck with smoke. I can't imagine that antifreeze fumes could be good for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode