Rear d-shaft max angles/cv joint wear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear d-shaft max angles/cv joint wear

what is the suggested max angle for the rear d-shaft to differential, and the max angle for the cv joint ??
If you are beyond the max angle, what can be done? Is there a better driveshaft (custom) for lifted trucks?
BTW its '93 full size bronco, 4-5 inches lift, 5.0L efi, 33 inch tires(31 inchers on the street).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear d-shaft max angles/cv joint wear

Also, I just replace the u-joints all around including the centering ball, and I still have vibrations I'm sure are from the cv joint.
Old ford mechanic told me that once the max angle for the d-shaft has been exceeded the vibrations will start. Hope someone has
ideas. The vibrations are annoying and can't possibly be good for the driveline in the long run. U - joints are cheap, tfer cases and
diffs are not.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may need to install drop down brackets for the t-case to correct the angles. Were the diff's rotated to correct pinion angles when the lift was instaled?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]If it's stuck, force it! If it break's,it needed replacing anyway!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I can remember, it is suggested to keep the u-joint to 7 deg. or less. They can tolerate up to 10 deg, but have increased wear and may vibrate. The vibration problem often occurs when the front and rear joints are running at different angles. With the two joints in the cv canceling each other out, the rear joint should be as close to straight as possible. On my 88 (stock height), the rear u-joint is just about straight at normal running position. When you lift truck, the rear u-joint becomes angled and causes many of the vibrations. If you haven't allready, try lowering the t-case and get angled shims for the rear axle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can you get the angled shims? What hardware is needed for dropping the
tfer case, just straight shims and longer bolts?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any four-wheel drive or speed shop should be able to get you some. Just ask for degree shims to change your axles pinion angle. I'm not sure what you need to do to lower the t-case, maybe just some spacers. Most likely longer bolts.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I'll try the angle shims. I'll try to straighten up the pinion to
d-shaft angle first and then see how the vibes go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode