'86 Bronco Speedo Cable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 11:06 PM
Neckfitter

\'86 Bronco Speedo Cable

Hey, the speedometer cable on my 86 Bronco burnt up today, right where it goes into the transfer case. I could smell it burning as I was driving it today, with the cruise on, then the cruise shut off & speedometer died. How much of a pain is the cable to change? Could I get one at a parts store, or do I have to go to Ford for one? Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'86 Bronco Speedo Cable

You should be able to get the cable at the parts store. They may have to order it though. I know the dealers don't carry it anymore for a 1980 F150. It's not too hard to replace. Just unclip the cable from the speedo unit from under the dash (if you can't get to it from underneath, remove the top of the dash). Pull it through the fire wall. Disconnect it from the trans/t-case.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
DaveC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 02:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave has the idea. Just as an FYI, your cable is a three piece setup. There are two cables and pulse counting module for the cruise control. One cable goes from the speedometer to this inline module under the brake booster. The second cable goes from the module to the transfer case. Don't let the parts stores mess you up. You may want to inspect that module as well for wear. The shaft and pulse wheel inside will get real sloppy and cause problems along with cable breaking.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:20 PM
Neckfitter

Thanks for the info guys-hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode