Muffler/Exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Muffler/Exhaust

I have a 5.0 1990 Ford Bronco. What is the stock muffler inlet and outlet configuration is? According to Flowmaster it is a center inlet and a offset outlet. I never really checked my oem muffler, but it seems like it would be a center inlet and outlet, since it was a tube-shaped. Anyways, what made me think of this is, after my Flowmaster muffler was put on the exhaust pipe comes real close to my frame and the exhaust tip is closer to the body. Does anybody have a oem muffler and could tell me what the inlet and outlet configuration is? Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Muffler/Exhaust

Well im not real sure but i was thinkin of puttin some duall exhausts on my 85 bronc. How much better performance overall would these give me and do you recommend a size for the pipes and tips? Help me out please. I really want some!!!!!!

Mooseykat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The OEM Ford truck muffler, is a round unit. The inlet and outlet are on the side and not centered. It is also much longer then most aftermarkets. The center inlet/side outlet is as close as they get to fitting. The OEM's are about $100 around my way, so $30 for a muffler, some clamps and a short pipe is a much cheeper way to go. My system fit strange also, I just had to loosen the clamps and reposition everything so that it fit correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

SlowTarget, thanks for the backup. I thought I was the only person who had that problem. I'll try messing with the clamp and see what happens. Thanks again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had also called Flowmaster and had asked whether or not they could tell me the part number, if I had told them what kind of car/truck I drive. They said yes. After telling the guy over the telephone that I drive a Bronco, he told me to get a muffler which has a center inlet. He was dead wrong. When I received it from the mail, I could tell immediately that the muffler was really close and maybe wouldn't fit. I asked a exhaust mechanic if he could do it and he said I needed an muffler with an offset. I was pissed off of course. After returning that muffler I decided to get a Dynomax kit ($100) for the F150/Bronco. It included the muffler with the RIGHT inlet and outlet, clamps, screws and a pre-shaped exhaust pipe like the OEM exiting to the passenger side rear. I would recommend it, their was no thinking involved. Removing the old muffler was a bitch but installing the new one took an hour. email me at toughluc @ yahoo.com if you need the part number. I cannot find it now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode