83 351 windsor; need some tips - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

83 351 windsor; need some tips

Hey guys, im back again, i lobve this site, it the only one i know of, anyway, ive got an 83 bronco xlt with 33.1250 cooper mud tires on it and stock 3.55 gears. I was wondering if putting some sort of a locker in the rear would help me and how much in the traction department. If u just have one locker in the rear how does it help. Any info would be helpful. Also, what are the best mods to get better gas mileage, my 351 and edelbrock carb dont help on that!!

Mooseykat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 83 351 windsor; need some tips

First: Do you take into acount that your speedo is off due to the larger tires? If you haven't had your speddo calibrated, you are showing 13% less miles per tankful than you are actually driving, same as your posted speed on the dash (you are going 13% faster than you are reading). Second: The stock gears, and tall tires are robbing torque. You can go two routes; different gears to get back in the correct power band, or increasing your power output to compensate. To get into the approximate power band, you can use a set of 4.10:1 gears. You mention wanting a locker, that would be the time to do it. I myself have limited slip still,so I don't have experience (yet) with the characteristics of the locker. You can go the power route, which in the long run is waaay more expensive. The best thing to do is to make your system more efficient. Free up the exhaust, and try to flow more air to the carb. If you are more adventurous, you can go for a better cam, and do some porting of the heads. A better intake, and matched carb are also the way to go. Don't forget that if you match your gearing in the axles to your tire size that you may not be flogging the beast as much to get to speed... another fuel saver.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Onc eagin thanx to ya ron bo. Ur a big help! But in a last post i got a 85 now. It white and dark blue. But it too has an 351 so ur tips will help out laot. Are you in the big broncos mailing list too?

Mooseykat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple of things on a locker. Installing a traction aiding device in the rear helps out quite a bit. As for a locker, they can get pretty rough around the streets. I have one in my Bronco and it is pretty jerky and loud. It works wonders off road, but if your truck is a daily driver, may not be the best choice.

TracTech Inc. makes a real nice limited slip called the TrueTrac that might be a better option. They are very smooth on the road and quite agressive in the hills. I did install new gears in my rear end and they made it very nice. I installed the Detroit Locker because of the strength of the case and off-road agressiveness. There are companies that make lockers that slip into the factory carriers, but that is a weak link in the Ford 8.8 and if you are going to the trouble of upgrading the gears, why not upgrade the carrier to something stronger. The TrueTrac has a nice strong carrier and is a limited slip to boot. If you want to see the difference in carriers (Stock vs. Locker) go to my web page and view Rebuilding the Ford 8.8" rear End. It has pictures of both the Factory and new carriers.

http://www.users.uswest.net/~ejtache...nco/Bronco.htm

TracTech's Web Site can be found in my Links Page.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2000, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Someone once told me that the factory limited slip is a True Trac. Anyone know if this is true?
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode