C6 Tranny Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

C6 Tranny Problem

I have a 1987 carbureted 351 Bronco with a C6.
Starting about 3 winters ago, my tranny started to not want to shift out of gears when it was very cold out, and while the truck was also still cold. For example, I would put it in drive and start driving, but it wouldnt shift into second by itself, but I am able to shift it manualy on the column. After about 5-10 mins of driving, the tranny would be shifting fine by itself. Every winter the problem got worse and lasted longer than the year before. This winter it realy started bothering me (and still is) so hopefully if anyone can help, I will finally do something about it.
Thanks for your time,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: C6 Tranny Problem

Have you changed the fluid and filter lately? If not change it and maybe the vacumm modulator.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
DaveC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2000, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does it take awhile for the trans to actually go into gear as well? Then after everything is warmed up the trans shifts fine? I had a similar problem with my old C6. It was the seals being old and dried out. They would swell after about a minute in the morning, then the trans would shift fine until the next morning. A basic rebuild cured the problem for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You most likely have a dirty valve body in the transmission. You can try to remove it, take it apart and clean it. This will also be a fluid change. This may only work for a while, if there are enough small dirt particles in the fluid that stays in it, such as in the converter. The next fix is to install and auxillary filter. Carquest carries a 3 in diameter small cannister like filter with inlet and outlet fittings. Looks like a big gas filter. I install them just before the fluid line entrance to the cooler in the radiator. It helped on my last truck a lot.

If this doesn't work, you probably need to take the whole thing out, clean and rebuild it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2000, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all for your replies.
Ron-Bo: Do you mean a delay in the time it takes from when I place the tranny in drive and for it to actually engage? If so, I do not have that problem, but a friend of mine does and I will pass your information on to him.
Anyway, I guess I will start with changing the modulator, and maybe changing/cleaning the fluid/filter. Hopefully I will not have to do the rebuild because I have never touched a tranny before and will probably end up doing more harm then good.
Thanks again,
Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2000, 05:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had the same problem with my 89 Chevy Corsica......only when it was cold.....and this was from "all but new" (3500 miles). No problem except when it was below freezing. The power steering would wail in protest at low temps as well. Solved both with a Mobil 1 synthetic ATF swap for both fluids.
BTW- can't you drain the converter on that year C6? My 83 has it's own drain plug.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GeeAea, thanks for the tip. I was gonna change the fluid (even thought it looks clean) since I haven't done it for a long time, but now I will use the synthetic Mobile 1 ATF and see what happens.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'drain the converter' but if your talking about the pan, no, I do not have a drain plug.
Thanks again.
Tom

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 09:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tom,
On my (well my son thinks it's his[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) Bronco there isn't a drain plug either. I think that the manufacturers did away with them in the mid to late 70's because of the introduction of the replaceable filter instead of the permanent metal strainer type thingie. They wanted to be sure that the service tech had to pull the pan to inspect inside for band material and such while replacing this throw away filter. This only drained about 5 Qts. of ATF however since the converter contained another 3 or 4. Hence you were left with some contaminated fluid in the trans after servicing. On my Bronco (and many "older" models) the converter has it's own drain plug. You just take off the flexplate cover and either bump the engine with the starter or use a screw driver to "ratchet" the assembly around until the drain plug is in the 6 o'clock postition....and ~viola' .....you can drain the entire trans. I don't know if your converter has the plug.......they may have done away with them by your model year...my Haynes manual goes up 96 to indicates that all C6 autos had this feature.

Mobil 1 ATF is not easy to get. I had to order two cases (6QTs/case) from a local "Gas&GO". The manager was real nice about ordering it in. It is around $5/Qt .......but, and this was a first for me, I could really feel the difference. The stuff flows so well at lower temperatures. There are other synthetic ATFs on the market but I've had such good luck with the Mobil 1 line that I went with it.

If you can't find it you can order it directly from Mobil (Exxon-Mobil) on their website

http://www.exxon.mobil.com/netcom/mo...re/index2.html

Good luck!

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GeeAea,
Thanks, I had no idea that the fluid was only partially drained by removing the pan only, but now I know, and knowing is half the battle. I should realy get a Haynes manual.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode