info on 35" tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

info on 35\" tires

I am looking for what you guys think about tires. Im looking into getting 35" tires for my truck. I was wondering what you thought of the different kinds? Ground Hawgs, Swampers, Pro Comp, BF, Mickey, Gumbo, any info would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 06:40 PM

Re: info on 35\" tires

I am in the process of lifting my truck right now. I have looked into Super Swampers, MT Baja Claws, and now BFG MTs. First I wanted to get swampers, but I heard at the best I could only get 20,000 miles (15,000 miles the way I drive). Then, I looked a MT Baja Claws. They seem like the perfect tire, good aggressive design and good street manners, but I heard the 35x13.50 is more like a 34. Now, I am looking at BFG MTs, they are good all around tires, wear excellent, and are more close to actual 35s.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

in your research did you find out the life expectancy of the claws??

MUDD_RAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost all tires are shorter than advetised.... but

I like my BFG All terrains. Great in mud and snow, and ride nice on the street. If my Bronco was used more off road, I'd probably get something more agressive, but for my once a month offroad trip, they do great! Most Mud Terrains, don't have any siping in them, and therefore aren't as good in water and on ice. My Bronco is my daily drvier and winter vehicle, so this was important to me. My brother has Super Swamper SX'z on his Cherokee, and I wouldn't be able to stand driving it every day. It's noisy, and wanders around following the grooves in the road. I'm sure it's because of the tires.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so the a/t do pretty well in the mud when you encounter it but also do well in the winter conditions??

MUDD_RAT
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Almost all tires are shorter than advetised.... but

I also run the BF Goodrich AT's and they do pretty good. I picked up a Ford ignition key in one last weekend. I pulled it out one evening not knowing how long it has been in there or what kind of damage it did. I checked it the next morning and there was still air in it. I haven't touched it since. I had a friend with Super Swampers that were roughly the same size as my BFG's, We swapped for the weekend so I could see what they were like. They were 31x12.5 vs. my 32x11.5 and were very different. I ran them at 6 PSI to get them tolerable. Wandered and caught every rut in the road, very loud, and robbed me of power. I could feel it. I will keep with the radials, thanks.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had experience with the 35X12.50 BF goodrich AT's as well as the 38.5" steel belted and 39.5" standard swamper. Unless You realy like mud go with the BFG's. They are well worth it. My old bronco handled like stock with the 35" AT's, handled the road very well, and were exellent on the sand. Both style super swampers, though larger, weren,t bad on the road considering how aggresive they are, but I definatly new I had mud tires under me. (loud, but at the time I didn't mind). They just didn't last long enough and, well, my off-roading consists of beach. Not mud tires element, though size made up for that.
Bottom line, 2 sets of swampers to one set of BFG's!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 05:52 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Any A/T you buy will be nearly worthless in mud compared to even a mild radial mud tire. But, it will also be better on the road - much better probably. You just have to decide on your priorities.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tex so your saying i cant get the best of both worlds?? I would like a mudd tire that did well on the road

MUDD_RAT
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 08:28 PM

Claw Expectancy

MUDD_RAT, I don't think anybody actually knows the life expectancy of the Baja Claws, because they are too new. If anybody does find out, I would be real interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode