Loss in power and odd noises... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Loss in power and odd noises...

First off, I've got a major loss in power. I can get no more than 60mpg on flat ground. Second of all, when I try to floor it, it seems to kick down into a lower gear, wind up, and go slower. Third of all, I get this odd clunking sound at low speeds...mostly first gear. Possibly the tranny or something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Loss in power and odd noises...

Hey Biz, all the members of this board will need a little info about your truck to help!
Like, what year, what engine, carb or Fuel Injected?
Also a help (I think you meant 60MPH, not MPG!), what happens at 60? Does it buck and miss bad, or does it run smooth, but no faster?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about the confusion...

I have an 88 XLT 302 fuel injected. When it reaches around 60, it rides smooth, but won't accelerate any faster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JUNK IT BUY A CHEVY

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll buy a chevy the day after I have run through every car, truck or SUV Ford has to make. Every year, every model. I'll even fix up an old model T before I drive a Chevy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 12:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Biz......did you happen to have any damage to the exhaust recently? I had this happen to me on an Econoline van that I had a few years ago. I'd backed into something solid......didn't think much of it. I took a trip to New England that night and I couldn't maintain 60 in a head wind. I had to put so much throttle to it that it would kick down into second.......reach 60 or so and shift back into third...........where it would slow below the kick down limit and on and on. I finally solved it by drafting an 18 wheeler. When I got to Mass. I looked at the back of the van and found that what ever I backed into had crushed my tail pipe outlet about 3/4 closed.
If you don't have a damaged exhaust I'd look (well check out) the internals of your cat or muffler for baffles that have broken loose and are restricting the flow.

If your saying that the pavement turns to wet cement at 60 but runs okay at the lower speeds and exhaust restriction would be the first cause that comes to mind. This could also explain the noises that you hear.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Things i'd check. The exhaust system is a good idea, i've had a cat converter go on me before also.
Are the spark plug wires in good shape?
Try unplugging the exhaust oxygen sensor, if the problem goes away your o2 sensor is bad.
How old are your fuel and air filters?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spark plug wires perfect...just recently replaced. Air filter is okay, but I need to check the fuel filter. I'll check the exhaust system sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I'll post if the problems continue.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2000, 02:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem solve. It was the cat, and I found a small hole in the muffler. Going to have it dualed next monday (kill two birds with one stone). Thanx for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode