MSD Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2000, 12:48 AM
racemedic

MSD Ignition

Anyone here use an MSD Ignition? What do you think of it and did it make much of a difference also what kind of plugs are you using and what gap?
Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MSD Ignition

Racemedic,
I used an MSD-6A in a 71 Bronco with a 351W engine that was quite modified. I did notice a difference when I installed the MSD. I had a carb and was able to lean and lower my idle settings. I believe that this was due to the more complete combustion that you get when you have multiple high energy sparks at low rpm. The plugs I used were the ones recommended. I think it was just a regular non-resistor plug. I now have an 88 Bronco with the 302 EFI. It is stock on the inside. This time I thought that I would try the Jacobs ign. I picked up a used one off of E-bay auction for $280. It the Prostreet ultra team model. It retails for close to $500 I think. I think Jacobs recommended your regular plug, but the gap was to be set at .060. I have noticed a much better off the line start and pull though 0-60. I have a G-tech accelerometer that I used and it showed nearly a 1 sec decrease in the 0-60 time and about a sec. and 1/2 off the quarter mile while giving me 1.5 mpg better around town milage. For the price, I the think the MSD is probably the better deal. You can find them for about $100 used or $200 new. The cheapest Jacobs units run closer to $300 and go up to $500. The only thing that I can see that the Jacobs does that the MSD does not do is vary the spark intensity depending on what you are doing. The MSD puts out the hottest spark it can all of the time. This causes it to have a higher amp draw that the Jacobs. Big deal, unless your already at your max. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MSD Ignition

I was bored at work so I did some searching. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/msd.asp

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/jacobsomni.htm

http://www.4wdriver.com/reviews/index.html (Click on Product Reviews, MSD 6T)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode