1978 351M to 1988 302 EFI swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1978 351M to 1988 302 EFI swap

well, i just finished pulling my 351M/c6/np205 running gear out of my 78 bronco and putting the 1988 302-EFI/aod/borg-warner 13-56 running gear in.its ALMOST a 100% swap over. everything lines up and uses the existing motor mounts with only one slight change. the studs that go thru the frame and secure the frame to the mounts on the 302 are centered, whereas the mounts on the 351 are about 1 inch towards the rear of the motor, thereby moving the motor 1 inch forward. i can either redrill the engine pedestal hole one inch forward (i have plenty of meat to work with) or just see if they have an offset motormount for the 302. but the best part is the transmission bolts right to the rear crossmember with no mods. now i just have to break out the correct wires on the brain and im back in business (other than drivelines). soooo uhhh, whats the going selling price for a running 351M into a good c-6 with a np-205 case that could use new bearings but otherwise still drives fine? 300 bux? i just want it gone

Daryl Dinwiddie
Seattle, WA
www.forgotton.org/allford/ford/bronco.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 1978 351M to 1988 302 EFI swap

Daryl,
I hope that you have the time to document the swap ........mainly the integration of the computer into the existing harness. The swapin' the engine part seems easy to me....but once you start playin' with anything beyond a single wire or two.....some mystical fog invades the frontal lobes and I turn belly up with my paws pulled in close beggin' for relief. This is a mod (fuelie) that I'd like for my son's 83 ......you just can't beet EFI for drivability. What mod are you doing for the fuel tank ...or fuel pump rather? I've searched around for a write up on this mod ....but to no avail.
Any help? TIA

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:27 AM

Sounds like an interesting swap. I'm working on something similar right now. The 351M doesn't have a good reputation, but the C6 does (although yours will only bolt up to a Big-Block). So the C6 is worth something. But the NP205 is prized by many. I would think that you could $500 for it. Rock-Crawlers love the NP205 because it's Cast Iron and can take a Beatin' on the Rocks. The downside is that the Low Range isn't as low as with an Aluminum Planetary Case. The 205 should bring you some coin, if you can find somebody who's looking for one. Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, from what i have read so far, I only really need like 4 wires broke out from the brain. a full time hot, an ignition hot, and a start and a ground. i have also been told to ground everything, ground the brain to the body, to the frame, to the motor, and also a direct ground to the battery. my grandfather had that problem when he put a 302 EFI into his 1935 3 window coupe. as for the fuel delivery, stock had a low pressure high volume pump IN the tank with a higher pressure pump after that to drive the injectors, this was later changed to a single high pressure pump. I will prolly go with the single high pressure pump mounted external of the tank.

Daryl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode