Dilemma - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Dilemma

I ahve just gotten aroud to checking the brakes on my 78 and the discs are fine but the rear drums have been welded on by the previous owner. I called him and he said he didn't know anything about that. Bastard.

I have a chance to buy 3/4 ton axles off of a 79 f-250 but without tires and rims and I really want to keep my 33's but there on those 15" wagon wheels with the 5 lug pattern. What can i do?

Can i adapt the axles without any major spending?
Are there 15" rims with eight lug patterns and will they even fit over the drums and discs?
Or does anybody have rims and tires they'd like to trade?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dilemma

You have a 9".

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Help me out here.......when you say "welded the drums on".....just how did he do this.....and why can't a grinder solve it? One can only wonder why someone would weld drums in the first place.....and I wonder where you would weld them besides the center "hub" that protrudes through the drum......or is "welded drums" some fancy "ole' trail trick" that I haven't heard of? What possible advantage could it serve?

Unless there's something that I'm missing.....I'd do what ever I had to to seperate the drums from the axel and deal with it from that point.....even if I had to get new axles and drums (junkyard) ......it has got to be cheaper than the alternatives of the axle swap.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 08:36 PM
dawgghanson

yo..welded on? are they? or ary the so tight you can't get them off? I had to use a set of brake drum removal pry claws once to pop em off.
Gee is right....better to get axles..stronger ones will do...much cheaper than going to the expense of new rims.

Al
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I can't seem to get them off. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the center of the drum there is a raised circle and on that there should be two or three bolts? I hope I'm right in that assumption or I'm gonna look like a real ass at school.
Inside of these two holes there is room enough for a pair of decent size bolts, but at the bottom its rounded off and looks like welds. If I'm just being stupid and overlooking the obvious for something totally impossible let me know(I've been known to do that).
Thanks Dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 08:58 PM
dawgghanson

hey! just logged on and I guess it may be too late for you.
i know how it is to try and not be able to do something like this.
I think the "raised circle" you describe is the end of the axle and it looks like it has those 3 "holes" in it, all in a straight line. The center "hole" is smaller than the other 2, right?
They don't have any bolts.
I hope it's just that the brake shoes are tight against the brake drum!!!
If so, go to a friend, or a NAPA or other auto store and get or rent a brake adjustment tool.
try this:
make sure the wheels are chocked!!!
take the parking brake off...
on the back of the brake drum backing plate (looking at the drum/plate from the differential outwards), there is a rubber plug @ the bottom of the plate.

Pry it off with a screwdriver.

Then using a narrow blade screwdriver, push the adjusting LEVER away from the Star wheel so you can use a brake tool (looks like a bent screwdriver) to retract the brake shoes from the drum... the tool should PUSH on the star wheel at the top of the wheel to retract the brake shoes..
I was just trying to find a pic for you on the internet so you can see what this looks like. Maybe someone else here has a www site with pics.

Al
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 09:09 PM
dawgghanson

i forgot...try using a flat bladed screwdriver instead of the brake tool..sorry...Im brain dead now.
good luck, Al

Al
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Once the shoes are away from the drum, spray wd-40 around the hub that the drum slides over. If it still will not wriggle off pound the drum with a 32 oz. Ford wrench until one side angles a bit over the other. Then pound the other side and work the drum off that way.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep.......drums frequently get "barrel mouthed". Just like others have said here just lift the lever and turn the star wheel.....it may take quite a few motions in the reverse direction.
By your reference to "look like an ass at school".....I take it you're in autoshop??? There isn't the mechanic alive that hasn't been so "chomping at the bit" that he hasn't tried to advance his/her "doing" well ahead of his/her "knowing"......so you're in future good company......what do you think the word "experienced" means......you just got some.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode