engine trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine trouble

i have a 1990 ford bronco 5.8l, 3.55 and e4od. My problem is when the engine warms up, the car feels extremely sluggish. I press the gas and the engine revs up, but the car doesn't go like it should. Is this a transmission problem or some sensor in the engine because it doesn't do it when the engine is cold. I want to fix this since my mom wants me to sell the car. It's a great truck and i want to keep it. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine trouble

I'm not really a trans expert, but if the engine revs and the truck does not go, it has to be the trans. Start with a simple fluid and filter change. Most mechanical problems with a trans are not temp specific. Next go to a parts store and look in the manual for troubleshooting. Sorry but that is all I have for you.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BlueBronco - You really need to figure out and be sure whether the tranny is slipping, or not. Since everything is OK when cold, you can do a simple comparison. When cold, from a standing stop (to be sure that trans starts out in first), tromp on it, and listen to the engine (watching tach is best if you have one), and see how far (distance) you go to get to 20 MPH or so, and how much the engine rev'ed to do this. I'm suggesting only 20 MPH because you want to stay in first gear to keep it simple, and use a good marker where you hit your speed.
Then repeat this, EXACTLY the same when it is well warmed up. If your trans is slipping, you should see and hear a lot higher RPM, and take a longer distance to get to 20 MPH or whatever speed you used when cold.

Be kind to Mom, but respectfully point out that there few vehicles safer for her son to be in, than a Full-sized Bronco!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ya..........check your shifting points when cold. When warm try putting it into LOW and see if you pick up the acelleration that you're missing. Sometimes the governer hangs up when hot (you'ld normally think the opposite) and you start off in second......this happened to my son's $400 83 Bronco (which admittedly has a simpler trans). I was driving it around one day and noticed that it, like you described, "felt kinda sluggish"......I pulled it into low just after take off from a stop and felt the downshift. He changed the fluid and fiter and it solved the problem.....at least for now.
Your mom, like my wife, is looking at this vehicle as a money pit........which, all things considered (other....cheaper rides) it is. My wife has threatened my son with selling it if it requires anything substantial for inspection (either emissions or safety) so I've been helping him get as much "right" with it in the two months that he has left on the current sticker. His alternate ride was a 88 Corsica, which, on a bad day, got twice the gas mileage of the Bronco and is extremely low maintenance. Normally I'd agree that a 17 year old doesn't need to spend his money in the gas tank ..........but then again it's usually middle age before you get to do this sort of stuff again (like me) .....so why not let him enjoy himself now. Besides.......considering that he has a job and a girlfriend.......it's the one thing that allows us to have any "quality time" together.

Be diplomatic with your mother ........like any challenging trail......it's approach and technique that are the critical elements to successful navigation of the obstacles.
Good luck!
GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone considered that it may be the catalytic converter? When they're plugged the truck is going to feel sluggish. Just a thought.
AAM

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 03:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may want to check your CO2 sensor also. When I put BBK Shorty Headers and Y-pipe on my 5.0 SAE Bronco, I forgot to hook up the CO2 sensor. The Bronco felt sluggish and ran like crap.

It did not take me long to figure out that I had forgot to hook up the CO2 sensor. Once I hooked it up all ran smooth. I did install a new CO2 sensor during installing all new exhaust, but that was just to be on the safe side of having everything new.

Now my Bronco runs better than ever, and it scares me. It has 163,000 miles on it and gets better gas milage, runs down the road with its tail on fire. So, check the sensors, because they are a lot cheaper than replacing that E4OD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode